Here’s the breakdown of what’s open and what’s closed New Year’s Day:
• Pierce County government offices will be closed.
• City of Tacoma offices will be closed, and parking downtown will be free. The city’s senior centers (415 S. 13th St. and 5016 A St.) will be closed. Police, fire and animal control officials will be on duty.
• Banks will be closed.
• U.S. Postal Service operations will be closed. Most post offices will close their lobbies at noon Wednesday (Dec. 31), and mail from collection boxes might be picked up early at noon that day.
• Tacoma garbage won’t be picked up. Instead, residents whose garbage normally would be collected Thursday, Friday or Saturday will have their pickup a day later. Tacoma’s landfill and recycling center will be closed.
• Tacoma Public Library branches and Pierce County libraries will be closed New Year’s Day. Pierce County libraries will close at 6 p.m. New Year’s Eve.
• Pierce Transit buses will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Sound Transit routes 594, 545, 550, 522, 554, 560, 574, 577, 578 and 512 will run on a Sunday schedule. Routes 510, 590, 511, 532, 535, 540, 542, 555, 556, 566, 586, 592, 595, 513, 596 and 567 will not run. The Sounder Train will not operate, and Tacoma Link will run on a Sunday schedule.