A fire that ripped through a South Tacoma apartment complex and forced a wheelchair-bound woman to jump from a second-story window was ruled an accident, according to Central Pierce Fire & Rescue.
Investigators pinpointed the start of the fire to a kitchen at the Woodmark apartments, but were unable to tell if a burner left on or food on the stove started it, fire spokesman Guy Overby said.
The fire that damaged six units late Monday injured three people and left 20 people without a place to live. Approximately 20 residents have been unable to return to their apartments because power remains off at the complex at 2425 96th St. S.
As flames spread throughout the apartments, a 45-year-old woman in a wheelchair and her teenage daughter were unable to escape out their front door.
Never miss a local story.
The girl was able to jump from a second-story window and two men climbed up to aid the woman, who was helped out of the window and fell on a pile of blankets and a mattress set out by neighbors.
The woman is expected to be released from the hospital on Wednesday.
Two residents were treated for minor smoke inhalation.
The blaze was the fourth fire in a week that started in a kitchen, Overby said.
Stacia Glenn: 253-597-8653