A smoker’s negligence is the likely cause of an apartment fire in Auburn early Tuesday that displaced five people, Valley Regional Fire Authority has found.
Residents have not been able to reoccupy their units because of damage to the building’s electrical system, according to a news release.
Damage to the building and its contents is estimated at $800,000, the release said.
The fire in the 3700 block of D Place Southeast was called in just after 3 a.m. Tuesday and was contained to one unit. The release said smoking materials were left on the deck. One man was treated for smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.