The town that once was on Lake Kapowsin’s western shore once had a population of 1,000.
Its industries included five mills, the Tacoma Eastern Railroad and various bars and a school with some 280 students.
A pedestrian walkway supported by pilings connected the town to an island in the middle of the lake. On that island, according to legend, was a house of prostitution.
When timber resources in the area ran out in the 1920s, the mills closed and the town shrunk.
Never miss a local story.
In 1928, Tacoma Public Utilities bought the lake and the town with the idea of making the lake into a water reservoir. The utility department reportedly burned the wooden structures in the town to the ground.
Only the concrete walls of some of the mills remain.
Tacoma Public Utilities eventually abandoned the idea of usingwater from the lake for municipal purposes when the utility found an alternate source in the South Tacoma aquifer.
The utility sold off its holdings except for the Tacoma Rail right of way on the lake’s western shore.
Now, the Puyallup and Muckleshoot tribes have significant holdings in the lake area. Hancock Timber Resource Group and its investors own most of the eastern shore.