Gig Harbor Marina & Boatyard was named Business of the Year at the Gig Harbor Chamber’s annual awards dinner on Saturday night.
Erin Abrigo, chairwoman of the Chamber of Commerce’s board of directors, presented Gig Harbor Marina & Boatyard managing director Ron Roark with the award at the Chamber’s annual awards dinner gala. The event was held at Canterwood Golf & Country Club and included the Santa’s Castle toy drive with partner Joint Base Lewis-McChord.
Each December, the Chamber takes time out to reflect on the past year and celebrate “those who have helped make the Gig Harbor peninsula area a better place to live, work and play,” according to the Chamber’s website.
Attending the gala evening from Gig Harbor Marina & Boatyard were Roark and his wife, Jui Ling, hospitality manager Danielle Taylor and her husband, Ben, and boatyard manager Mark Lindeman and his wife, Jaye.
Never miss a local story.
Ahead of the evening, Roark highlighted some of Gig Harbor Marina & Boatyard’s many accomplishments and milestones achieved in 2016.
“Our reputation for quality workmanship has enticed many boating customers to once again buy local rather than use other boatyards in the South Sound,” he said, adding that the boatyard’s busy 50-metric ton Travelift has completed more than 431 haulouts this year. “We were the Gold sponsor of the 2016 Wine & Food Festival and we participated with gusto in the Downtown Waterfront Alliance’s Sip & Stroll, Trick or Treat in the Harbor — giving out a boatload of candy — and Girls Night Out.”
Some of the other accomplishments include:
▪ The Northwest Maritime Academy @ the Boatyard attained full operational Coast Guard certification and graduated its first class.
▪ The boatyards’ event venue, The Club @ the Boatyard, continued to expand and is now booking events for 100 to 300 people into 2018.
▪ Annual membership dues for The Club, now exceeding $4,000, are donated equally between Harbor WildWatch, the Gig Harbor Yacht Club Junior Sail Program and the Gig Harbor Canoe & Kayak Team.
▪ The Guesthouse @ the Boatyard has supported more than 100 wedding parties, corporate retreats and family reunions.
▪ The food trolley, JW @ the Boatyard, served more than 16,000 meals in just a seven-month summer season.
▪ The continued partnership with and support of Gig Harbor Gondola and the Gig Harbor Dragon Boat Club.
“We have truly created in 2016 a festive and inviting destination for residents and visitors alike to come on down and have fun at the Boatyard,” Roark said.