Thirty-five graduating seniors from the Peninsula School District will be honored this spring during the 14th annual Students of Distinction program.
Each student will be profiled in The Peninsula Gateway newspaper prior to a community banquet on May 25.
Students of Distinction is a function of the Greater Gig Harbor Foundation, a qualified nonprofit community foundation that works to meet the diverse needs of Washington’s greater Gig Harbor and Key peninsulas. Founded in 2003 by The Peninsula Gateway, the Students of Distinction program hashonored more than 450 students from Gig Harbor, Peninsula and Henderson Bay high schools. The program came under the community foundation in 2013.
Major sponsors include Kitsap Credit Union (2016 Lead Sponsor), Peninsula Light Company, The Peninsula Gateway, Olympic Property Group, Umpqua Bank, Franciscan Health System, the Peninsula School District and the Greater Gig Harbor Foundation. Combined, the community sponsors have provided more than $10,000 in scholarship funds annually during the past 13 years, a total of about $140,000.
Students are honored in one of seven different categories. They either applied or were nominated by a peer, teacher or parent. A panel from each high school selected students from within their building from the pool of applicants.
The 2016 class of Students of Distinction includes:
▪ Academics (10): Lucy Arnold, Peninsula; Annalise Arroyo, Gig Harbor; Melanie Belton, Gig Harbor; Ryan Gregory, Gig Harbor; Teagan Horkan, Peninsula; Dominic Lauer, Peninsula; Mackenzie Mills, Peninsula; Anna Sexton, Peninsula; Haley Weiss, Gig Harbor; and Nathaniel Younk, Gig Harbor.
▪ Athletics (5): Jordan Bertram, Gig Harbor; Connor Jost, Gig Harbor; Whitney Mundle, Peninsula; Chance Stolz, Peninsula; Michael Anthony Toglia, Gig Harbor.
▪ Business & Entrepreneurs (4): Sydney Bertholf, Gig Harbor; Joe Hayes, Gig Harbor; Sara Undem, Peninsula; and Quintin Wilson, Peninsula.
▪ Community Service (5): Maxwell Joseph Batanian, Gig Harbor; Emily Frier, Peninsula; Erika Hettick, Peninsula; Riley Paul, Gig Harbor; and Alyssa Stephens, Gig Harbor.
▪ Music, Arts & Drama (4): Tova Beck, Gig Harbor; Elyse Grace Masayo Miyake, Gig Harbor; Sydney Payne, Peninsula; and Caitlyn A. Tyler, Peninsula.
▪ Overcoming Adversity (4): Elizabeth Aronson, Gig Harbor; Praise Jorgenson, Henderson Bay; Thomas Oatridge, Peninsula; and Riley Rosi, Peninsula.
▪ Science & Technology (3): Alexander H. Hatfield, Gig Harbor; James Ritchie, Peninsula; Gol-Dann Slater, Peninsula.
Each student will receive a $250 scholarship. In addition, the Students of Distinction will be involved in an Interview Day on Saturday, April 30, with a panel of community volunteers. Each panel will select one individual from their specific category to receive an additional $250 scholarship as well as a Panelists’ Choice award during the banquet on May 25. Tickets for the banquet will be available soon.
For more information, visit www.gigharborfoundation.org.