Two people were displaced from a Kent home Thursday night after a malfunctioning clothes dryer started a small fire.
Firefighters were called about 7 p.m. to the house in the 27000 block of Military Avenue South and extinguished the blaze within minutes.
A resident said he saw smoke coming from the dryer when he checked on the laundry and opened the dryer door. The clothes were burning and dark smoke and flames were visible under the dryer, according to the Fire Department.
The resident left the house and called 911.
Never miss a local story.
Investigators said a mechanical problem with the dryer started the fire, which caused about $75,000 in damages.
The American Red Cross was helping the two residents with temporary housing.