A dog was killed and four people displaced early Tuesday after their mobile home caught fire, according to the Kent Fire Department.
Firefighters responded to the 800 block of West Valley Highway about 3:50 a.m. and found smoke and flames coming from the home.
The four people who lived there had escaped but their dog was unable to get out.
One of the residents smelled smoke and went to investigate, finding an open wood stove door and sparks igniting items near the stove, Capt. Kyle Ohashi said.
Never miss a local story.
It took fire crews about 20 minutes to put out the blaze, which caused an estimated $10,000 in damages.
The home was not equipped with smoke alarms.
The family does not have homeowners insurance but was receiving help from the American Red Cross.