More than $15,000 has been raised to help the family of a 10-year-old Enumclaw boy who was critically injured in an explosion last week.
Beau Ward suffered burns over 85 percent of his body and is expected to spend about two months at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, which is “an hour-plus ride for his parents,” according to the GoFundMe site.
The boy was listed in serious condition Tuesday.
He and a 9-year-old friend apparently were trying to start a campfire with gasoline Friday when the fumes and possibly the can exploded, authorities said.
Never miss a local story.
The younger boy was released from the hospital over the weekend. No one else was hurt.
An update on Mt. Rainier Christian Center’s Facebook page said Beau had undergone one of four surgeries scheduled for the next week. Another surgery is scheduled for Wednesday (May 26).
By Tuesday afternoon, 99 people had contributed $15,131.
Donations can be made to gofundme.com/beauward.