A Puyallup man whose hash oil laboratory exploded in a residential neighborhood last year was sentenced Friday to two years in prison.
Seth Cleek, 22, also must be supervised for three years after his release, U.S. District Judge Ronald B. Leighton ruled.
He was using butane gas to make hash oil for an unlicensed edible marijuana company May 20, 2014, when the lab outside his home in the 1500 block of Shaw Road East exploded. The lab was in a pop-up canopy tent.
Hundreds of butane canisters blew up and flew more than 100 feet into the air and startled neighbors. The fire melted the siding on Cleek’s rental house, damaged a car in the driveway and destroyed a plastic basketball backboard.
Never miss a local story.
Cleek’s family, including his 18-month-old son, was home at the time, but no one was hurt in the explosion.
“This defendant was taking the risk for others who hope to reap the financial rewards of marketing marijuana edibles, which are illegal under both state and federal law.,” U.S. Attorney Annette Hayes said. “Both men will be accountable.”
Also charged in the case is Kevin Weeks Jr., 24, who operated Cap’n Cosmics. According to its website, the company solid “EXTREMELY potent medibles” for medical marijuana patients.
Cap’n Cosmics did not have a state license and its marketing mimicked Cap’n Crunch, the children’s cereal.
Cleek was paid $10 for each tube of marijuana he turned into butane honey oil, according to court records. He was using 20 cases of butane given to him by Weeks when the explosion happened.
More than 1,800 pounds of marijuana and marijuana edibles were seized from Cleek and Weeks during the investigation, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.