A fire that burned a storage facility southwest of Puyallup was caused by a hand-rolled cigarette thrown into nearby grass, Central Pierce Fire & Rescue said Tuesday.
The blaze burned 121 storage units Friday near the southeast corner of state Route 512 and Canyon Road East.
No injuries were reported.
Never miss a local story.
Hand-rolled cigarettes, unlike manufactured ones, are not treated to self-extinguish, Central Pierce said.
The agency also said trees were next to the building, as opposed to the 30 feet of space needed around a building to keep it safe from fire.