Tuesday is Veterans Day, and local commemorations kick off this weekend in Auburn with one of the largest veterans parades in the country. Events are are listed here chronologically.
• The 49th annual Auburn Veterans Day Parade begins at 11 a.m. on East Main Street. More than 200 groups and 5,500 people are expected to participate. For more information, go towww.auburnwa.gov/events
• The Evergreen State College is hosting “Run with a Soldier” day. It’s a 5-kilometer run and fundraiser meant to benefit veteran programs. The cost is $40 on the day of the event and $30 for early registration. For more information, go to
. Doors open at 8:15 a.m. at 2700 Evergreen Parkway NW CRC 210, Olympia.
• Pacific Lutheran University has a military appreciation service at its football game against Whitworth University. Military service members get free admission, food and beverages at the 1 p.m. game at Sparks Stadium, 601 7th Ave. SW, Puyallup.
• Puyallup’s annual Veterans Day celebration takes place in Pioneer Park with a concert by the Joint Base Lewis-McChord I Corps band beginning at 1 p.m. The event will have a special emphasis recognizing the Vietnam War’s 50th anniversary. The park is at the intersection of Pioneer Avenue and Meridian.
• Saint Martin’s University hosts a concert and ceremony at its new flag pavilion next to Jan Halliday Memorial Plaza at 11:30 a.m., 5000 Abbey Way SE, Lacey. In case of rain, the ceremony will take place at Marcus Pavilion.
• Evergreen State College invites students and staff to place flags around the campus to recognize veterans in their lives from noon to 3 p.m. The college also is presenting displays about veterans on campus, 2700 Evergreen Parkway NW, Olympia.
• A ceremony and tour of war memorials on the Capitol campus in Olympia is scheduled to begin at noon. The event is hosted by the International Association of Workplace Professionals. It starts at the World War II Memorial next to 11th Avenue.
• The Washington State Veterans Employee Resource Group leads a wreath-laying ceremony at the Winged Victory monument on the Capitol campus in Olympia. It begins at 8 a.m. and Gov. Jay Inslee is scheduled to deliver opening remarks.
• Pacific Lutheran University plans to cancel classes between 10:55 a.m. and 11:40 a.m. for a Veterans Day celebration in Lagerquist Concert Hall in the Mary Baker Russell building, 12180 Park Ave. S., Tacoma. The featured speaker is Steve Shumaker, a PLU student and former Army sergeant who served on four combat deployments.
• The Thurston County Veterans Council plans to host a ceremony in the Capitol rotunda in Olympia at 11 a.m. with a keynote address from Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs Director Lourdes Alvarado-Ramos.
• Tacoma’s War Memorial Park hosts a ceremony at 11 a.m. The park is at 6th Avenue and MacArthur Street. For more information, call Charlotte Medlock at 253-752-7722.
• The Washington Soldiers Home is holding its ceremony at 2 p.m. featuring remarks from a JBLM brigade commander. The soldiers home is located at 1301 Orting Kapowsin Hwy in Orting.