Over the past decade, Gary Probst has built the largest driving-school franchise in the state, using hidden ownership agreements to conceal his financial interests, in violation of state law. Repeated state investigations show that schools he controls scoff at state rules and hire unlicensed driving instructors, some hiding behind false names. State investigators, parents and competitors question the training teens receive in Probst's schools. What has the state done in response? Against Probst, nothing.
Court martial document
1990 court-martial of Gary Probst, and denial of his appeal by U.S. Army Court of Military Review.
June 27 media alert to Tom Fitzsimmons, chief of staff to Gov. Christine Gregoire, regarding The News Tribune series.
Affidavits from several individuals who say their names were used falsely in connection with Probst's schools.
A Probst school franchise contract between Probst and ex-partner Robert Hall.
E-mail describing Probst's interference with a driving-school inspection.
Excerpts from a state investigative summary of Probst and his schools.
Excerpts from a deposition of Gary Probst, conducted June 30, 2003 in Snohomish County Superior Court.
Certificate submitted by Sean Probst to Clallam County District Court as proof of completing a defensive driving course.
DOL issues charges against driver training school owner.
Driving schools facing suspension
Gary Probst owns 41 driver training schools in Washington state. All face potential closure by the state.
- Confirmed: Josh Portis arrested for DUI; RB Christine Michael Signs
- Hey, Pete, it's time you talked about Seahawks' drug-test failures
- He set out to disprove a faith, woo a girl now he loves both
- UPDATED: Two arrested in fatal assault at Lakewood poolroom
- Huge tornado hits Oklahoma City suburb, kills 51
- 304 Secrecy ignited firestorms over Benghazi, IRS
- 139 Aide: Obama learned about IRS from news accounts
- 102 He set out to disprove a faith, woo a girl now he loves both
- 66 Narrows tolls to rise; more hikes possible as debt and lack of traffic may push maximum amount over $6 prediction
- 55 Tacoma program uses housing to promote good parenting, self-sufficiency