Five legacies of Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz.
1. He firmly anchored Seattle’s civic identity on overpriced coffee, and ditched quaint relics such as an overpriced pro basketball team.
Never miss a local story.
2. He took care of his workforce with college benefits, health care and a daily wellness regimen of tai chai and frappa-chin-ups.
3. He founded a global culture based on expensive beverage addiction, cutting across ethnicity, tribe and religion. He dared to enter unreached and repressive societies as farflung as China, Egypt and Spokane.
4. He stood tall for family values by resisting America’s bikini barista trend, and by covering the topless mermaid on the original Starbucks cup.
5. He helped lazy men everywhere by popularizing the world’s most impersonal fallback option: the Starbucks gift card.