“How much is that doggie in the window? The one with the waggly tail?”
My husband shuddered slightly as he stood silently listening, the telephone receiver pressed to an ear.
Here beyond the fringes of suburban sprawl, we guard our space jealously, hoping that the miles between our homes and the hood might ensure peace and security, that our isolation will somehow protect us from harm.
I’d begun to dread the aftermath of my elderly neighbor’s passing months before he died. He’d been a quiet presence in the farmhouse down the road, a generous steward of the 120 acres where he had lived since childhood.
News Tribune Editorial Writers
Special to The News Tribune
- Katie Baird
- Richard S. Davis
- Bill Hall
- Karen Irwin · blog
- Maggie McGuire · blog
- Brian O'Neill
- David Seago · blog
Community Columnists · 2013
Community Columnists · 2012
- Tacoma Dome no more? Arena could receive a new name
- Tacoma engineer allegedly solicited teen for sex
- Tacoma to sell prime property downtown
- Lakewood police fatally shoot armed man in Tillicum
- Time on basketball court turns into life-saving day for teenagers