House Speaker John Boehner is threatening to defund the Department of Homeland Security, and I'm guessing that most people don't know what all is included in this department that was cobbled together during the George W. Bush administration in 2002.
So here is a partial list of the offices within the DHS that stand to be defunded and possibly cease operations.
• U.S. Coast Guard: Because terrorists can also gain access by sea and up navigable rivers.
• Federal Emergency Management Agency: The office that responds to disasters has itself suffered two disasters in the last 12 years: the first was Bush’s decision to include it in DHS in the first place; the second was placing Heckofajob Brownie in charge of the office just in time for Hurricane Katrina. Defunding of FEMA would be the office’s third disaster in less than 15 years.
• U.S. Secret Service: Among other responsibilities, this office protects the president (as if Boehner gives a damn).
• Domestic Nuclear Detection Office: In case the Michigan Militia develops a suitcase bomb.
• Office of Intelligence & Analysis: Identification and assessment of future threats to the homeland.
There are 10 other offices in the DHS.