As a beekeeper, I got cold sweats while reading the letter advising people to poison or cut down scotch broom now, while it's in bloom (TNT, 5-22).
Honeybee losses topped 40 percent this past year, with summer die-offs greater than the expected winter losses. When people poison blooming plants, it can mean poisoning native and managed bees and maybe even killing an entire colony.
Bees get food from flowers - pollen for protein and nectar for carbohydrate. Bees foraging on sprayed flowers ingest the poison. Maybe they die right away. If not, they take the poison back to the nest where it can build up and become toxic to the entire colony.
Read pesticide labels thoroughly and carefully. Be judicious with poisons. Most clearly state not to spray when the plant is in bloom. If you take out plants that you consider to be noxious, please consider replacing that plant with a native, pollinator-friendly flower.