|4:05 PM PT||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|SEA||B. Maurer (2-5)||0||0||0|
|ANA||C. Wilson (3-3)||0||0||0|
|Preview | Matchup | Lineup | Log | Wrap | Box|
So you think you can do Jack Zduriencik’s job? Here’s your chance to be the Seattle Mariners general manager.
Using The News Tribune’s Mariners budget tool, you can sign free agents, cut and waive players, build a bullpen and a rotation and shape a roster that is ready to contend in 2013.
We’ve supplied an estimated payroll for you to work with and a list of the current major-league free agents. So get to work.
Sorry, no trades however. This is for free agents only; as a rookie GM, you aren’t ready to wheel and deal on that level just yet.
Budget: / ~$91m
Players: / 25
Where’s the current amount dedicated to salaries?
It’s at the top of the diamond in the blue bar. It will update as you add and subtract players.
How many players do I need?
The team has a 25-man roster for the season. We’ve included 29 players who are in the running to be on the squad so you’ve got some choices to make.
How do I adjust positons for the players?
Click on the position to the left of the player name. Find the abbreviation of the position you want to move them to. It will move a player already in that position on the field to the bench.
What is "DFA?"
In order to remove a player from your major league roster, you must designate them for assignment (DFA). For purposes of this tool, you'll be on the hook for anyone with a dollar sign in the DFA button. Think Chone Figgins and the $8 million the Mariners still owe him. Any player without the dollar sign will be claimed by another team on waivers or outrighted to the minors, not counting toward your budget.
And what is "option?"
A player who has an option can be sent to the minors. His contract is a split one where he makes a certain amount of money for being in the majors and much less in the minors. For purposes of this tool, we won't count an optioned player's salary against your budget. There are exceptions. Dustin Ackley and Danny Hultzen have major league contracts, so they get paid the same even if they're in the minors.
Are the salary numbers accurate?
The numbers are not official and some have been rounded off to make the math easier. We have taken contract information from Cot’s Contracts. We used arbitration numbers estimated by Dave Cameron at USS Mariner.
How do I know how much free agents are worth?
We recommend looking at FanGraphs crowdsourced free agent contracts. But if you want to talk Josh Hamilton into a $1 million dollar deal, go ahead. It’s just for fun.
- Harvin's versatility is tantalizing, as long as he stays upright
- Proctors bike-rack bureaucracy tests patience of local Boy Scout
- Man critically injured in Frederickson motorcycle crash was off-duty King County deputy
- Fallen Tacoma firefighter lived life filled with discoveries, explorations
- Wilson ahead of learning curve in 2nd season
- 310 Secrecy ignited firestorms over Benghazi, IRS
- 166 Aide: Obama learned about IRS from news accounts
- 120 He set out to disprove a faith, woo a girl now he loves both
- 73 Narrows tolls to rise; more hikes possible as debt and lack of traffic may push maximum amount over $6 prediction
- 24 Party lines blur at transportation rally