With last week’s rankings in parentheses:
1. Florida State (1): Seminoles seem to keep dodging off-field problems. Louisville could be on-field problem this week.
2. Mississippi State (2): Dak Prescott putting together an impressive Heisman résumé.
Never miss a local story.
3. Alabama (4): Final four opponents: LSU, Mississippi State, Western Carolina, Auburn. One of these things is not like the other.
4. Oregon (6): Ducks should get revenge over Stanford this year.
5. Notre Dame (5): Not much love for Irish in the first College Football Playoff rankings, which slotted Notre Dame No. 10.
6. Auburn (7): Another huge game this week at Ole Miss.
7. Michigan State (8): Beat Ohio State this week and Spartans essentially lock up the Big Ten title.
8. Mississippi (3): Quite the late-game mismanagement in Baton Rouge.
9. TCU (10): Nice of Frogs to take their foot of the gas after hitting 82 against Texas Tech.
10. Georgia (9): The Florida Georgia Line is Bulldogs minus-13. Get it?
11. Kansas State (11): Only unbeaten Big 12 team.
12. Baylor (13): Bears probably capable of scoring 100 on Kansas.
13. Arizona (14): Starting to feel more and more like a program that could be about to take off.
14. Arizona State (15): Taylor Kelly still has some rust to shake off.
15. Ohio State (12): Facing an Illinois team that actually won a Big Ten game last week.
16. Nebraska (17): Another cakewalk on deck for the
17. Utah (20): Utes keep on finding a way. Trip to ASU up next.
18. Oklahoma (18): Currently in sixth place in the Big 12.
19. West Virginia (21): TCU the next team to walk into lion’s den in Morgantown.
20. LSU (25): Iced the kicker so effectively against Ole Miss that he turned into a quarterback and threw a pick.
21. East Carolina (16): Third in the nation in passing yards.
22. Marshall (22): It has been a good year for football in West Virginia.
23. Clemson (23): 16-6 win over Syracuse = blech.
24. Duke (NR): Nation’s fifth-best scoring defense (15.1 points a game).
25. UCLA (24): First-half clock-management blunder by Buffaloes was fortuitous for Bruins.
1. Oregon (1): Marcus Mariota still should be frontrunner for the Heisman.
2. Utah (4): Just the latest team to get the best of USC in the fourth quarter.
3. Arizona (5): Seemed like ‘Cats’ offense could do no wrong at WSU.
4. Arizona State (2): Can’t complain about a victory in windy, rainy Seattle.
5. Stanford (7): Kevin Hogan has a chance to beat Oregon three years in a row. Andrew Luck only beat the Ducks once.
6. UCLA (6): Lucky to escape Colorado with a win.
7. USC (3): Might want to give the ball to Javorius “Buck” Allen on third-and-short from now on.
8. Washington (8): Cyler Miles still has a firm grasp of the starting QB job.
9. California (10): Golden Bears still a few defensive pieces short of being a pretty good team.
10. Colorado (12): Saturday’s game against UW should be Buffaloes’ most competitive against Huskies since joining Pac-12.
11. Oregon State (9): Beavers’ offense is in a serious funk this season.
12. Washington State (11): Safe to chalk this season up as a big step backward for the Cougars.