Thurs., Jan. 19
- California at Washington, 5:30 p.m. Root Northwest
- USC at Oregon, 5:30 p.m. Comcast Sports Northewst
- Arizona State at Colorado, 6:30 p.m. Root Rocky Mtn.
- Arizona at Utah, 6:30 p.m. Fox Sports Arizona
- Stanford at Washington State, 7 p.m.
- UCLA at Oregon State, 7:30 p.m. FSN
Obviously, the first game is the best one. And we'll get to that in a separate blog post. As for the rest, I guess the UCLA-OSU game is interesting. I'd be inclined to DVR the Stanford-WSU game because I always wonder how teams handle Pullman, particularly under tough travel conditions. But that game isn't on TV. No it's not cause school is cancelled. It's cause of the brilliant TV deal won't have either game in Pullman this weekend televised. Apparently ROOT is protesting the Palouse.
Stanford at Washington State, 7 p.m.
- Speaking of the Stanford-Coug game, Christian Caple of the Spokeman filed this story from the other day on WSU's poor rebounding, which we saw against UW. He also has this game preview about the Cougs finally playing a home game. He also got a scouting report from Stanford beat writer Elliott Almond of the Bay Area News Group.
- UCLA travels to Corvallis and will play it's next four games on the road. Baxter Holmes writes that Jared Cunnigham is the best player at OSU since Gary Payton. Both are from Oakland and he talks to both of them in this story.
- Not only can Roberto Nelson make 3-pointers with only one shoe on, but he's embraced the role of the being the "sixth starter" and coming off the bench. Supposedly, the Beavs are getting back to basics on defense, meaning actually playing some defense
- The Ducks can make some waves in the Pac-12 standings with a good weekend. Oregon is more experienced than people realize. The importance of Olu Ashaolu, who looks sort of like 50 cent, is not lost on his teammates.
- USC forward Andre Fuller, who leads the team in rebounding and is second in scoring, might be lost for the season because of shoulder surgery,
- The Buffaloes hope the return of students to Boulder and the first game since they've been back will help snap a two-game losing streak.
- ASU won't have its best player - Trent Lockett - for this weekend because of a sprained ankle. The point guard position has lacked consistency all season for the Sun Devils.
This game is going to be uglier than Jiggy Watkins' waistline. The Utah point guard was booted from the team this week. The Utes probably shouldn't have a point guard built like me, unless that point guard is Khalid El-Amin. Someone joked that Watkins and Cameron Dollar have the same build these days.
Will the altitude be a factor in Utah and Colorado for the Wildcats? Bruce Pascoe does a good job of looking at it. Even getting some experts to talk about it.