Some quick-hit stuff from the UW's first spring scrimmage Saturday:
* All three quarterbacks - starter Keith Price (7-of-11, 69 yards) and backups Derrick Brown (5-of-9, 80 yards) and Thomas Vincent (4-of-7, 39 yards) - threw on touchdown pass. Price and Brown tossed theirs during goal-line work while Vincent, out of King's High in Seattle, led the offense on a 64-yard drive to end the scrimmage, capping it with a 2-yard pass to Joshua Perkins.
* The defense was better than the offense. Safety Sean Parker undercut a sideline route by James Johnson and picked off a Price pass, and linebacker John Timu tackled tailback Bishop Sankey for a loss on a fourth-and-1 run to end a scoring threat.
* The Huskies did put their beef on the defensive line on display in heavy-set plays on the goal line - Andrew Hudson at defensive end, Sione Potoa'e and Lawrence Lagafuaina in the middle and Danny Shelton at nose guard. That was 1,168 pounds of man in there to stop penetration.
* Parker (groin) returned after being off for a couple of days, but center Drew Schaefer (sprained knee, will miss another week), cornerback Gregory Ducre (concussion), linebacker Scott Lawyer (hip strain) and fullback Dezden Petty (back) all missed practice Saturday. Also, defensive end Talia Crichton has his right knee wrapped after limping to the sideline midway through the scrimmage.
* UW coach Steve Sarkisian said one of his early observations about the defense under new defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox is the secondary coverage. "Much more sticky in coverage … on the back end," Sarkisian said.
* Mercer Island High’s Jeff Lindquist, part of the Huskies’ 2012 recruiting class who will come in for fall camp, attended the scrimmage Saturday, and was even wearing a play-calling wristband.
* The UW hosted its big spring coaches’ convention. One of the keynote speakers was Eastern Washington coach Beau Baldwin, out of Curtis High School.