We received an email from the Washington State Department of Transportation about possible traffic issues for today's home opener at Safeco Field.
From the email ...
This Monday the Mariners will be playing the A's in the season home opener, resulting in a very crowded SODO neighborhood in conjunction with construction on Royal Brougham Way and in the immediate vicinity.
Opening Day Construction Update – Fans attending the Opening Day Mariners vs. A’s Game will notice a big change on Royal Brougham Way; the new Royal Brougham overpass will open on Monday, April 12, which means drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians will use the new overpass to get up and over the railroad tracks without waiting for trains. The overpass also provides access to the Qwest Field Garage. A new off-ramp from I-90/I-5 to Edgar Martinez Drive will open on April 21. Please note that the northbound I-5 off-ramp to Fourth Avenue S. will be closed until April 21. For additional information please go to www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/SR519 or call 1-800-400-0761.
What you can do to get to the game on time
- Allow extra time – Royal Brougham Way looks a lot different than last year
- Check real-time traffic on freeways at www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/seattle and on city streets at web5.seattle.gov/travelers
- Park downtown and walk or take the bus
- Consider using transit or carpooling
- Pay attention to construction signs and Police officers directing drivers and pedestrians
Fans can also drive to Sea-Tac and park and take the light rail to Safeco. They will have reduced parking rates at Sea-Tac. Here's a blog post from the PI on it.