Very cool photo from the TNT's Joe Barrentine on the ball that Casey Kotchman hit to right that Ryan Raburn couldn't quite come up with.
Pretty solid game. Franklin Gutierrez continues to hit well in the third spot. No News Tribune jinx for him.
As Dave Cameron of USS Mariner pointed out on Twitter, the positioning of left fielder Milton Bradley in the ninth inning to catch Ramon Santiago's sinking line drive was big. Manager Don Wakamatsu credited outfield coach LEE TINSLEY for that positioning.
Not a bad outing from Ryan Rowland-Smith. And there was a solid crowd at Safeco Field.
- Justin Verlander suffered his 1st loss of the season giving up 3 runs in a season-high 7.0 innings. His 6 strikeouts tied his season-high (also: 4/5 at KC). Verlander has lost his last three consecutive starts vs. Seattle dating back to April 17, 2009 (0-3, 4.43 ERA). He has also lost his last two starts at Safeco Field (0-2, 5.02 ERA). In his career he 6-4 with a 3.42 ERA (26 ER, 68.2 IP), while losing 4 out of his last 5 decisions against the Mariners.
- Austin Jackson has hit safely in 9 of his last 10 games after going 1x5 with. He is currently batting .311 (14x45) with 8 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple and 4 RBI. He currently has a 5 game hitting streak, batting .363/8x22 with 1 double, 1 RBI and 3 walks. His 14 hits this season ranks 1st among all Major League rookies.
- Detroit has now lost 3 in a row and 4 out of the last 5, after the starting the season 5-1.
- Jose Lopez extended his home hitting streak to 12 games with a single in the 1st inning. During the streak he is batting .362 (17x47) with 6 runs scored, 5 doubles and 8 RBI. Lopez also extended his current hit streak to 5 games, batting .450 (9x20) with 2 runs scored, 1 double and 3 RBI.
- With his triple in the 3rd inning, Ichiro Suzuki passed Alvin Davis and moved into 5th place on the Mariners all time extra-base-hits list with 384 extra-base hits.
- With Ichiro Suzuki’s double in the 1st the Mariners now have recorded at least one extra-base hit in all 12 games this season. Dating back to last season (8/31/09) the Mariners have recorded an extra-base hit in 43 consecutive games.
- Ichiro recorded 3 hits off Justin Verlander, increasing his average to .424 (14x33).
- Ichiro has recorded multiple hits in his last 3 consecutive games. He is hitting .538 (7x13) with 1 double, 1 triple, 1 RBI and 5 runs scored during those 3 games.
- Ryan Rowland-Smith recorded his first quality start of the season, allowing a season-low 2 runs in 6.0+. In his last 12 starts at Safeco Field dating back to Sept. 22, 2008, he is 5-4 with a 2.92 ERA (27 ER, 83.1 IP) with 10 quality starts.
- Milton Bradley stole his first base of the season in the 7th inning and came around to score the go-ahead run on Casey Kotchman’s double to right field. It was Bradley’s first stolen base since Aug. 11, 2009 vs. Philadelphia. He had only 2 steals all of 2009.
- Mariner’s starters in the last 4 games have only allowed 6 earned runs in 26.2 innings (2.61 ERA). During this stretch they have lowered the team’s starters ERA from 4.91 to 3.82. The team has also recorded 4 consecutive quality starts.
- The Mariners have now won 4 games in a row, their longest winning streak since 9/1-4/09 vs. LAA & OAK.
- Franklin Gutierrez went 2x4 with 2 RBI. He now has 6 RBI in his last 3 games to increase his season total to 8. With the 2 hits Gutierrez now has recorded multi-hits in his last 3 consecutive games (.538/7x13, R, 6 RBI).
- Gutierrez is now batting .615 (8x13) with 8 RBI with RISP this season, including 5x7 with 6 RBI in his last 3 games.
- Ichiro Suzuki fell a home run short of the cycle after walking in his final at-bat. He doubled to right leading off the game, tripled to right-center in the third inning and singled to center in the fifth.
- David Aardsma tossed a 1-2-3 ninth inning to record his 15 consecutive games (dating back to 8/24/09).During this streak he has a 0.60 ERA (1 ER, 15.0 IP) with 3 walks and 17 strikeouts in 15 save opportunities.
- In the last three games, the Mariners are batting .406 (13x32) with runners in scoring position including 3x6 with 4 RBI today…on the season the team is batting .274 (26x95) with RISP.