The Team That Will Not Homer - the Seattle Mariners - get their first look at the Chicago White Sox, a team that's off to a poor early start (5-11) and would love to get well in this series.
To avoid that, the Mariners will have to throw their small-ball attack at every pitcher they face, including Gavin Floyd tonight.
Only one man in tonight's lineup - Casey Kotchman with three - has a home run this season. The Sox lineup, by comparison, has 16 home runs already - and four fewer wins.
- First threat: A two-out triple for Franklin Gutierrez on an opposite-field bloop that right fielder Carlos Quentin had all kinds of trouble with. Cleanup hitter Jose Lopez grounded out.
- Small-ball this. Andruw Jones hit the left field foul pole for his fifth home run and a lead. After one: Chicago 1, Seattle 0.
- Second inning, two-out walk to Eric Byrnes. Why wait? On the first pitch to Adam Moore, Byrnes steals second base and is in scoring position. Moore grounded out.
- Small ball this! Quentin, in an 0-for-23 slump, hit his third home run of the season. After two: Chicago 2, Seattle 0.
- The Mariners put a man in scoring position for the third consecutive inning - Jack Wilson's leadoff infield single and an error on Jayson Nix got Wilson to second base. Ichiro singled to right, but Wilson got only to third base. Chone Figgins doubled to right, Wilson scoring, Ichiro to third base. Gutierrez walked to load 'em up. Lopez popped out. Ken Griffey Jr. forced Gutierrez, Ichiro scoring. Casey Kotchman lined out. In the third: Seattle 2, Chicago 2.
- A bad-hop error charged to Wilson put Juan Pierre aboard, and with one out Jones drew a walk from Ryan Rowland-Smith. After a double-steal, Paul Kornerko singled home Pierre. After three innings: Chicago 3, Seattle 2.
- Byrnes doubled, Adam Moore moved him to third base with a ground ball and Matt Tuiasosopo batted for Wilson - who took that bad-hop grounder off his bare right hand - and struck out. Ichiro flied out. That's four consecutive innings the Mariners have gotten a runner into scoring position - and they've failed to score in three of those.
- Update: Shortstop Jack Wilson is having his right thumb x-rayed. More as it happens.
- Small ball this! Konerko hits his sixth home run of the season, Chicago's third of the night - all solo. In the rain, Tuiasosopo made his first error at shortstop, Alexi Ramirez doubled him to thid and Rowland-Smith was replaced by reliever Kanekoa Texeira. Donny Lucy grounded into a fielders choice, allowing a run to score. In the sixth: Chicago 5, Seattle 2.
- UPDATE: No break in Wilson's thumb, but he'll be in a splint overnight and be re-evaluated tomorrow. Figure he'll miss the final two games here. If it looks to need more time than that, the Mariners will have to make a move for a shortstop - Ramon Vazquez is in extended spring training, Josh Wilson is in Tacoma.
- Moore singled and with one out, Ichiro dropped a bunt single. Figgins walked to load 'em up. J.J. Putz replaced Floyd. Gutierrez lined out. Lopez homered on a 2-1 pitch. In the seventh: Seattle 6, Chicago 5.
- Uh-oh. Sean White on to pitch, Pierre and Gordon Beckham singled. Jones grounded into a double play, with Lopez fielding the ground ball, stepping on third and throwing to first base. Alex Rios was intentionally walked. Brandon League replaced White. Rios doubled just over the glove of a diving Byrnes, scoring Beckham. After seven: Seattle 6, Chicago 6.
- Thornton is blowing through Seattle hitters, retiring seven in a row - striking out five. In the ninth: Seattle 6, Chicago 6.
- Mark Lowe pitching. With two outs, Jones homered again. It's a final: Chicago 7, Seattle 6.