Chicago was a nightmare - three losses, all coming in the White Sox final at-bat - and Felix Hernandez will try to stop the losing right there.
Yes, Milton Bradley and Jack Wilson are back Yes, Ken Griffey Jr. is the designated hitter and batting fifth. Yes, winning is going to be a challenge.
- With one out and Scott Podsednik at first base, Felix fielded a come-backer and turned to start a double play and found both shortstop Wilson and second base Chone Figgins near the bag. Felix missed both of them, an error that sent Podsednik to third base. He scored on a ground ball out, an unearned run that put Seattle behind. After one: Kansas City 1, Seattle 0.
- Mr. Hernandez set the Royals down 1-2-3 in th4e second inning, but the rains have picked up and umpires are checking the mound. Worst possible scenario for Seattle: Having a Felix start rained out.
- A third inning walk, a single by Billy Butler and the Royals got to the heart of their lineup - cleanup hitter Jose Guillen, who has eight home runs and 17 RBI in 18 games. Guillen struck out. Alberto Callaspo flied out. Jason Kendall grounded out. Felix has thrownn 50 pitches. After three: Kansas City 1, Seattle 0.
- In the fourth, Mariners got their first base-runner with a two-out walk to Franklin Gutierrez. Jose Lopez grounded out.
- Mitch Maier singled with one out, Yuniesky Betancourt worked a perfect hit-and-run single into right to get him to third base. David DeJesus forced Yuni, but Maier scored. In the fourth: Kansas City 2, Seattle 0.
- Through five innings, Felix Hernandez has allowed two runs - and Kyle Davies has allowed no hits. Yikes!
- Rob Johnson walked and, with one out, in the sixth, Ichiro beat out an infield single to second base. Figgins flied out. Gutierrez walked on Davies' 107th pitch. Lopez flied out. In the sixth: Kansas City 2, Seattle 0.
- Working hard again in the sixth, Felix strikes out Yuni on a wild pitch, which Johnson couldn't block, and Yuni got to first. DeJesus singled him to third with two outs. Podsednik flied out on Felix's 97th pitch.
- Brad Thompson pitching for Kansas City. Griffey singled. Bradley lined out. Dusty Hughes in to pitch. Casey Kotchman forced Junior. Johnson doubled. Wilson tapped back to the mound.
- Billy Butler caught all of a Felix fastball, and hit it 418 feet for his second home run of the season. Hernandez has thrown 113 pitches. After seven: Kansas City 3, Seattle 0.
- Leading off the eighth, Ichiro singled. Kyle Farnsworth in to pitch. Ichiro stole second base. Figgins struck out. Ichiro stole third base. Gutierrez flied out. Lopez popped out.
- In the ninth: Junior popped out. Bradley doubled. Kotchman flied out. Johnson walked. Mike Sweeney pinch-hit for Wilson and singled home Bradley. Matt Tuiasosopo ran for Sweeney. Bruce Chen in to pitch. Ichiro popped out. It's a final: Kansas City 3, Seattle 1.