We actually heard about Carlos Peguero's 10th home run from Jack Zduriencik, who mentioned it yesterday during his talk with us at the News Tribune. Zduriencik admitted he was pleased about the progress of Pegeuro, who he noted struck out over 170 times last season, but he's also cautiously optimistic. Peguero is a big kid and has some power, but this is Double A baseball.
He did say that he felt that West Tenn had the most talent of the affiliates.
As for top pick Dustin Ackley, who is hitting right around .150, Zduriencik isn't panicking. He believes that the transition to second base, the adjustments to wood bats and just the change to professional baseball are all factors.
He said that his scouts have told him that Ackley is still putting together quality at-bats for the most part despite his struggles. He also mentioned that Ackley is still experimenting with different bats, trying to find the best feel.
Zduriencik did mention shortstop Nick Franklin, who's leading the Midwest League in total bases and has an OPS of .980.
The switch-hitting middle infielder has exceeded expectations. And certainly the expectations of those critics who felt the Mariners reached a little with the pick.
High Desert pitcher wins Cal League Player of the Week honors
LH Bobby LaFramboise has been one of the best pitchers in the California League this season, and he got rewarded with Player of the Week honors after another fine start last week. Facing Lancaster on April 28, LaFromboise pitched 7.0 scoreless innings, limiting opponents to only 4 hits while walking 2 and striking out 6. LaFromoise is 3-0 with a 2.01 ERA in 4 starts this season. He was drafted by the Mariners in the 8th-round of the 2008 June Draft.
This week: 1-0, 0.00 ERA, 1 GS, 7 IP, 4H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
AAA Tacoma Rainiers (PCL)
Tacoma 3, at Portland 2
- Tacoma 3 runs, 5 hits, 0 errors
- Portland 2 runs, 4 hits, 2 errors
- BOX SCORE
- LH Chris Seddon (W, 2-0) 5.0,3,2,2,4,7,HR
- RH Brian Sweeney 2.0,1,0,0,0,3
- RH Shawn Kelley (S, 1) 2.0,0,0,0,1,2
- SS Chris Woodward 2x4, R, 2B, RBI
- 2B Ramon Vazquez 1x4, R, 3B
- RF Michael Saunders 1x2, R, 3 BB, 2 SB
- 3B Jack Hannahan 1x5
Today’s probable starter: RH David Pauley (0-2, 3.38 ERA) at Portland
AA West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx (Southern League)
Montgomery 5, at West Tennessee 4 (7 innings)
- Montgomery 5 runs, 6 hits, 0 errors
- West Tennessee 4 runs, 7 hits, 1 error
- BOX SCORE
- LH Mauricio Robles 4.0,4,4,4,3,5
- RH Anthony Varvaro (L, 0-1) 3.0,2,1,1,0,1,HR
- DH Mike Wilson 2x4, R, 2B
- LF Carlos Peguero 1x3, R, HR, 2 RBI, BB
- 3B Alex Liddi 1x2, 2 RBI
Montgomery 3, at West Tennessee 1 (7.0 IP)
- Montgomery 3 runs, 4 hits, 0 errors
- West Tennessee 1 runs, 2 hits, 2 errors
- BOX SCORE
- RH Luis Munoz (L, 0-2) 5.0,4,3,2,0,3
- RH Aaron Jensen 2.0,0,0,0,1,1
- 1B Johan Limonta 2x3
Today’s probable starter: RH Michael Pineda (1-0, 1.69) at Huntsville
A High Desert (California League)
Of Note: Nate Tenbrink currently has a 13-game hit streak, the longest hit streak for High Desert this season. During the streak he his batting .415 (22x53) with 11 runs scored, 3 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run and 11 RBI. Since April 23 Rich Poythress has hit safely in 9 of 11 games, batting .364 (16x44) with 9 runs scored, 3 doubles and 13 RBI. Johermyn Chavez currently has a 6-game hit streak, batting .348 (8x23) with 4 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run and 2 RBI.
Today’s probable starter: LH Bobby LaFromboise (3-0.2.01) at Lancaster
A Clinton LumberKings (Midwest Lg.)
at Peoria 4, Clinton 1
- Clinton 1 run, 3 hits, 2 errors
- Peoria 4 runs, 8 hits, 1 error
- BOX SCORE
- LH Jon Hesketh 4.0,3,1,1,1,4
- RH Chris Kirkland 3.0,2,0,0,0,2
- RH Taylor Stanton (L, 2-2) 1.2,3,3,3,0,2,HR
- CF Matt Cerione 1x3, R, BB
- SS Nick Franklin 1x4
- RF James Jones 1x4
Today’s probable starter: LH Jimmy Gillheeney (1-2, 3.20) vs. Beloit