The Mariners seven-game losing streak is on the line tonight, as is their 18-inning scoreless streak, and there's no way to know which will end first - or if either ever will.
Consider this: Most teams put their best hitter in the third spot in their lineup. Tonight's No. 3 hitter for Seattle is Casey Kotchman, who's gone 1-for-27 this home stand.
It's Doug Fister vs. Joe Saunders.
Never miss a local story.
- After one inning, no score. But Kotchman is now 1-for-28 on the homestand.
- Fister is doing his part, coming out like a strike machine. Two innings, six up and six down, with two strike outs. If he keeps this up another year or two, people are going to start believing he's for real.
- Jose Lopez doubled with one out and Mike Sweeney tapped back to the mound. Ryan Langerhans walked on five pitches. Josh-not-Jack Wilson flied out. That's now 20 consecutive scoreless innings put up by Seattle.
- Two-out infield single by Kevin Frandsen, then Erick Aybar grounded a double just inside first base to get the runner to third base. Bobby Abreu flied out. In the third, no score.
- That will leave a mark. With one out, Kendry Morales hit his seventh home run into the stands beyond right field. In the fourth: Los Angeles 1, Seattle 0.
- Two-out singles and a walk loaded 'em up for the Angels, who are getting better at-bats against Fister. Torii Hunter singled in front of Ichiro, scoring two runs. In the fifth: Los Angeles 3, Seattle 0.
- A one-out error put Ryan Langerhans at first and Wilson walked. Rob Johnson forced Langerhans, putting runners at the corners with two out for Ichiro - who tripled. That snapped the scoreless streak at 22 innings. Figgins grounded out. After five: Los Angeles 3, Seattle 2.
- Franklin Gutierrez walked and stole second with two out. Mike Sweeney doubled him home for the tie. Langerhans walked, chasing Saunders. Jason Bulger now pitching. Wilson struck out. After six: Seattle 3, Los Angeles 3.
- Johnson singled to lead off the seventh, and Ichiro tapped out to shortstop - with Johnson taking second base. Figgins grounded out, Johnson to third base. Kotchman - 1-for-30 as he stood at the plate - was hit by a pitch. Gutierrez struck out.
- Brandon League in to pitch the eighth inning. Fister pitched seven solid innings, threw a career-high 106 pitches and will get his third consecutive no-decision.
- David Aardsma in to pitch the ninth. Juan Rivera singled and was replaced by pinch-runner Reggie Willits. Howie Kendrick bunted Willits to second. Mike Napoli singled Willits to third base. Frandsen grounded into a fielders choice, with Lopez getting Willits at the plate. Aybar grounded out.
- Fernando Rodney in to pitch. Ichiro walked. Figgins bunted him to second base. Kotchman grounded out, Ichiro to third. Gutierrez walked, and took second base on defensive indifference. Lopez walked to load 'em up. Sweeney worked the count full, and on the eighth pitch, grounded out. To the 10th: Los Angeles 3, Seattle 3.
- Abreu led off the 10th with a double off Aardsma. Hunter grounded out. Morales was intentionally walked. Hideki Matsui singled, scoring Abreu. In the 10th, Los Angeles 4, Seattle 3.
- With ex-Mariner Brian Fuentes pitching, Langerhans grounded out. Wilson struck out. Johnson struck out. It's a final: Los Angeles 4, Seattle 3.