Cliff Lee won his first game as a Mariners last night, so why can't Ryan Rowland-Smith win his first of the season tonight?
Rowland-Smith's numbers look worse than they are, and a pair of pop-fly doubles on balls that should have been caught but weren't cost him five earned runs and probably two wins.
The Mariners would love to make this their third win in a row, and they're 4-0 against Baltimore in 2010.
Rowland-Smith vs. Brad Bergesen. We're off.
Never miss a local story.
- One out into the second inning, Seattle got a break but couldn't take advantage. Matt Tuiasosopo was safe on an error, Ryan Langerhans singled but Josh Wilson grounded into an inning-ending double play.
- Corey Patterson, who wasn't going to make the Mariners roster and opted out of camp this spring, singled to right. Adam Jones singled to left. Rowland-Smith struck out Nick Markakis. Miguel Tejeda doubled home both runners. Ty Wigginton singled with two out, and Ryan Langerhans threw Tejada out at the plate. In the third: Baltimore 2, Seattle 0.
- Casey Kotchman walked, Jose Lopez singled and Matt Tuiasosopo bunted both runners up a base. Langerhans was intentionally walked to load 'em up. Wilson grounded into a double play.
- Rowland-Smith won't win tonight. Luke Scott led off the fourth inning with his fifth home run, and Rowland-Smith was pulled. With a rain-shortened game possible, Wak may have throught he couldn't afford to give up anything else tonght. Ian Snell now pitching. In the fourth: Baltimore 3, Seattle 0.
- The game is now official, should the rains come harder. In the fifth inning: Baltimore 3, Seattle 0.
- Scott doubled, then stood watching a Garrett Atkins double - and only made it to third base. Cesar Izturis got Scott home with a sacrifice fly. A two-out single by Jones scored Atkins. In the sixth: Baltimore 5, Seattle 0.
- Well, the Mariners broke through in the eighth. Ichiro single with two out, stole second base and scored on a Figgins bloop single. In the eighth: Baltimore 5, Seattle 1.