Yes, it's hip-hop 'night' in Tampa, with a post-game concert from singer-rapper Nelly.
And no one makes you think of hip-hop more than, say, DH Mike Sweeney, who's homered in each of the last two games and capped off a big night Friday with his first stolen base in 224 games.
Power, speed, musical taste - Sweeney's the whole package, and in the Mariners clubhouse he's often in the center of all fun - and now he's contributing on the field.
Jason Vargas (3-2) will try to become the first four-game winner on the team and get Seattle to the 15-win mark.
Never miss a local story.
It's Vargas vs. James Shields.
- Chone Figgins doubled, took second on a wild pick off attempt and scored on a Shields wild pitch that was strike three to Franklin Gutierrez, who reached first safely. Sweeney singled. Jose Lopez forced Sweeney. Matt Tuiasosopo grounded out. In the first inning: Seattle 1, Tampa Bay 0.
- Mr. Sweeney has left the building! For the third time in as many games, Sweeney homered. The last time he did that was 2001. In the fourth: Seattle 2, Tampa Bay 0.
- And now, a word about Jason Vargas: Wow. Every starter hopes to keep the opposition in check as his team puts up a run or two. As the Mariners have pecked away and scored twice, Vargas hasn't allowed the Rays a base runner in the first four innings. That's 12-up, 12-down - and that's pitching.
- Evan Longoria led off the fifth inning with a single, but Vargas got Willy Aybar to ground into a double play. Vargas has thrown 50 pitches. After five innings: Seattle 2, Tampa Bay 0.
- Seventh inning, heart of the Rays order vs. Vargas: Ben Zobrist pops out. Longoria grounds out - catcher to first base - and Aybar walked on four pitches. Carlos Pena flied out. After seven: Seattle 2, Tampa Bay 0.
- Moore legged out an infield single and Tampa looked for a bunt from No. 9 hitter Saunders, who struck out looking at a pitch that replays showed was well outside. Ichiro singled down the line in right - a certain double - but had to hold when Moore came up lame trying to run to second and had to be helped off the field, limping badly on his left leg. Rob Johnson came in to pinch run. Figgins grounded into a double play.
- B.J. Upton singled and stole second base. Dioner Navarro singled, Upton stopping at third base. After seven inning plus two batters and 90 pitches, Vargas was lifted for Brandon League. Reid Brignac pinch-hit for Gabe Kapler. Brignac singled home a run. Bartlett sacrificed both runners up a base. League intentionally walked Carl Crawford, loading 'em up. Sean White replaced League. Zobrist flied out, scoring the tying run. In the eighth inning: Seattle 2, Tampa Bay 2.
- Ex-Mariner Rafael Soriano pitching the ninth for Tampa. Gutierrerz walked and stole second base, his fourth of the season. Sweeneygrounded out, Gutierrez holding. Lopez shattered his bat and popped out. Tuiasosopo lined out. In the ninth: Seattle 2, Tampa Bay 2.
- Jesus Colome in to pitch the ninth. Aybar homered - the 10th loss of the season in the opposing team's final at bat. It's over: Tampa Bay 3, Seattle 2.