This could be one of those marquee pitching matchups, with a former Cy Young Award winner matched against a five-game winner for the team with baseball's best record.
Cliff Lee vs. Matt Garza could be a hitters nightmare - and a quick game, since both men are fast workers.
For the 23rd time, Jose Lopez will bat cleanup for Seattle, and in the first 22 games the Mariners were a respectable 12-10. On the other hand, Ken Griffey Jr. is batting fifth for the 21st time, and Seattle went 7-13 in the first 20 of those.
Ichiro has a career-best seven consecutive game streak in which he's had two or more hits. During that streak, he's batted .570 and pulled his season average to .360.
Never miss a local story.
- Two-out walk to Franklin Gutierrez took up most of the 12 pitches Garza threw in the first inning. After the walk, he got Jose Lopez (.212) on a fly ball.
- A one-out error by Lee put Carl Crawford aboard, and a two-out walk - Lee's first of the season - to Evan Longoria put Crawford in scoring position. Willy Aybar struck out. After an inning: No score.
- For the second inning in a row, the Rays got a runner to second base, this time on B.J. Upton's one-out double. Lee got a soft pop up and a called third strike and left Upton at second in the second inning.
- Lee got out of the third inning wih another runner on second base - then escaped a jam in the fourth inning with a man on third base. In four innings, he hasn' allowed a run and has struck out six.
- Josh Wilson singled to lead off the fifth inning, and Josh Bard singled him to third base. Michael Saunders singled in a run, Bard stopping at second. Ichiro flied out. Chone Figgins grounded into a double play. In the fifth: Seattle 1, Tampa Bay 0.
- Lee worked his first 1-2-3 inning - in the fifth.
- The Mariners have been patient against Garza, taking pitches, working the count, and they've worn him down. In the sixth, Gutierrez singled and the Tampa Bay bullpen got busy. With two outs, Kotchman was hit in the back with Garza's 98th pitch, moving Gutierrez to second base. Trying to advance on a ball in the dirt, Gutierrez was thrown out at third. After six: Seattle 1, Tampa Bay 0.
- Lee retired the side in order in the sixth inning and has now set down nine Rays in a row - six since getting that one-run lead. Garza is out of the game, replaced for the seventh by Lance Cormier.
- Seventh inning - one earlier than the Mariners lost a 2-0 lead yesterday - Lee gave up a one out double to Upton. With two outs, second baseman Sean Rodriguez doubled off the wall in righ field. In the seventh inning, Seattle 1, Tampa Bay 1.
- Crawford tripled to left field when 'Saunders just missed a running catch and then had to chase it down. Kapler flied out, scoring Crawford. In the eighth: Tampa Bay 2, Seattle 1.
- Ninth inning, which is Rafael Soriano time for Tampa. Junior flied out. Kotchman singled, and Ryan Langerhans ran for him. Josh-not-Jack Wilson popped out. Bard popped out. It's a final: Tampa Bay 2, Seattle 1.