The Mariners opened the first by taking advantage of a bad inning for Oakland that began with a two-out walk to Franklin Gutierrez.
Green-lighted, Gutierrez stole second base, took third on a rare throwing error by Kurt Suzuki and scored on a Jose Lopez single - which gave the Seattle cleanup hitter 13 RBI.
Don Wakamatsu wasn't done pushing, and with Ken Griffey Jr. at the plate, Lopez stole second base to get into scoring position. Junior popped out.
None-the-less, that's a 1-0 lead for Ryan Rowland-Smith, which is all Cliff Lee got yesterday in a complete-game loss.
Never miss a local story.
- The lead lasted until Oakland came to bat. Daric Barton doubled and with two outs, Kevin Kouzmanoff homered - his third of the season. Rowland-Smith, fourth on the staff in innings pitched, has allowed a team-high nine home runs. In the first: Oakland 2, Seattle 1.
- Rowland-Smith is struggling to finish hitters off. In the second inning, Jack Cust and Adam Rosales led off with back-to-back singles - both coming with two strikes. Then, on an 0-1 count, Rajai Davis doubled home two runs. Cliff Pennnington bunted for a hit and Barton's sacrifice fly chased home Davis. In the second: Oakland 5, Seattle 1.
- The rout is on. Cust singled with two out and Rosales homered. That was it for Rowland-Smith. Ian Snell now pitching. The best chance Seattle has now is the rain, which is steadily falling. In the third inning: Oakland 7, Seattle 1.
- Matt Tuiasosopo hit a home run to straightaway center field wall - with help. Center fielder Davis had the ball glance off his glove and over the fence. It counted. In the fourth: Oakland 7, Seattle 2.
- Mariners tried to get something going - two walks and a Lopez RBI single had them thinking big inning. Griffey grounded into a double play, and that was that. In the sixth: Oakland 7, Seattle 3.
- One out fly ball to right center field fell for a triple when outfielders Gutierrez and Ichiro couldn't decide who should catch it - so neither did. Kurt Suzuki then singled home a run. Ouch. In the sixth: Oakland 8, Seattle 3.
- Gio Gonzalez left the game after seven innings and 104 pitches, having allowed Seattle four hits and three runs. That should be good for his fourth win of the season.
- Break up the Mariners! Ichiro and Figgins singled, back-to-back. No, not for the first time ever. That so frightened Oakland it made a pitching change, bringing in Brad Ziegler. Gutierrez flied out, Ichiro to third base. Lopez grounded out, but picked up his third RBI of the night. Craig Breslow in to pitch for Oakland. In the eighth: Oakland 8, Seattle 4.
- It's a final: Oakland 8, Seattle 4. The Mariners are 3-12 in May.