Sorry for the hiatus of the minor league report, but I was on hiatus in Montana (above). But I'm back now and ready to return to the baseball world.
Down in Double A West Tenn - the best team in terms of talent in the organization - outfielder Carlos Peguero homered again and Alex Liddi followed with another homer as the Jaxx lead all of AA with 44 homers. Peguero went 3-for-5 and is now hitting .333 with 28 RBI.
In Memphis, the Rainiers got a pair of home runs from veteran minor league catcher Eliezer Alfonso, but they gave up 10 runs in the eighth inning in a 13-9 loss.
Never miss a local story.
Down in Class A High Desert, hard hitting prospect Rich Poythress and Johermyn Chavez both homered.
AAA Tacoma Rainiers (PCL)
at Memphis 13, Tacoma 9
- Tacoma 9 runs, 13 hits, 0 errors
- Memphis 13 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors
- BOX SCORE
- RH Steven Shell 6.0,5,3,3,4,6
- RH Brian Sweeney 1.0,0,0,0,0,1
- RH Yusmeiro Petit 0.0,2,3,3,1,0,2HR
- RH Levale Speigner (L, 1-5) 0.1,4,7,7,2,1,HR
- RH Mike Koplove 0.2,0,0,0,0,1
- DH Tommy Everidge 3x5, 2 R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI
- RF Brad Nelson 2x4, 2 R, BB
- 1B Mike Carp 2x5, 2B, 2 RBI
- C Eliezer Alfonzo 2x3, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI, BB
- LF Ezequiel Carrera 2x3, R
- SS Chris Woodward 1x4, R, HR, RBI, BB
- CF Greg Halman 1x5
Memphis rallied for a franchise-record 10 runs in the bottom of the 8th inning to beat by Tacoma 13-9 on Monday night. The Redbirds sent 13 men to the plate in the 8th collecting a season-best 6 hits and belting a season-high 3 home runs in the inning. Chris Woodward hit a leadoff home run for Tacoma, and Eliezer Alfonzo launched his first two homers of the season. The Rainiers switched catchers again Monday, adding Guillermo Quiroz from West Tennessee while sending Luis Oliveros back to the Diamond Jaxx after a day.Tommy Everidge
has recorded 7 hits in his last 13 at-bats (.538), including back-to-back 3-hit games.
Today’s probable starter: LH Chris Seddon (3-1, 3.86) at Memphis
AA West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx (Southern League)
West Tennessee 9, at Mississippi 1
- West Tennessee 9 runs, 13 hits, 1 error
- Mississippi 1 run, 5 hits, 2 errors
- BOX SCORE
- RH Dan Cortes 2.0,1,0,0,0,1
- RH Jorden Merry (W, 1-0) 2.0,2,0,0,0,2
- RH Mumba Rivera 2.0,0,0,0,0,1
- RH Aaron Jensen 2.0,1,0,0,0,1
- RH Luis Munoz 1.0,1,1,1,0,1
- DH Carlos Perguero 3x5, 3 R, HR, 2 RBI
- 3B Alex Liddi 2x5, 2 R, HR, RBI
- 1B Johan Limonta 2x5, R, 2 2B, 3 RBI
- C Luis Oliveros 2x4, 2B, RBI
The Diamond Jaxx won their 6th straight game over Mississippi, 9-1 on Monday night. The Jaxx held Mississippi scoreless for 17.2 consecutive innings until Travis Jones ended it with a homer in the bottom of the 9th. Dan Cortes, Jorden Merry, Mumba Rivera and Aaron Jensen combined to shutout the Braves through 8.0 innings. The road record for the Jaxx is now 14-4, the best in the Southern League. The Jaxx also added their league leading 43rd and 44th homers of the season (back-to-back homers by Peguero and Liddi in the 1st). Jorden Merry, in his Double-A debut earned his 1st win by dealing 2.0 scoreless frames and striking out 2.Carlos Triunfel
has hit safely in 11 of his last 12 games, batting .367 (18x49) with 8 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 home run and 5 RBI.
Today’s probable starter: RH Steve Bray (1-1, 3.74) at Mississippi
A High Desert (California League)
at High Desert 9, Stockton 3
- Stockton 3 runs, 6 hits, 0 errors
- High Desert 9 runs, 10 hits, 1 error
- BOX SCORE
- RH Kenn Kasparek (W, 3-1) 6.0,3,2,2,3,4
- RH Marwin Vega 2.0,2,1,1,2,1
- RH Steven Richard 1.0,1,0,0,0,3
- 2B Kyle Seager 2x5, R
- 3B Edilio Colina 2x4, R, RBI, BB
- CF Denny Almonte 2x3, R, 2B, RBI, BB
- DH Jake Shaffer 1x3, R, 2B, 2 RBI
- RH Johermyn Chavez 1x4, R, HR, RBI
- SS Juan Diaz 1x3, R, RBI, BB
- 1B Rich Poythress 1x3, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI, BB
The Mavs shot out to an early lead and got another good starting pitching performance as they defeated Stockton 9-3 on Monday night. Kenn Kasparek delivered his 3rd straight quality start, allowing 2 runs over 6.0 innings. He's now allowed 2 earned runs or less in 7 of his first 8 starts. Since April 12,Nate Tenbrink
has hit safely in 28 of 32 games, batting .378 (48x127) with 29 runs scored, 6 doubles, 3 triples, 7 home runs and 30 RBI. During this stretch he has recorded 14 multi-hit games, including 5 3+-hit games.Edilio Colina
has hit safely in 8 of his last 9 games with 5 multi-hit games. During the streak he is batting .368 (14x38) with 4 runs scored, 3 doubles and 3 RBI.Denny Almonte
recorded his 12th
multi-hit game of the season, including his 7th since May 5. During this stretch he is batting .559 (19x34) with 10 runs scored, 10 extra-base hits and 8 RBI.
Today’s probable starter: RH Andrew Carraway (2-2, 4.45) vs. Inland Empire
A Clinton LumberKings (Midwest Lg.)
Of Note: The LumberKings have won 6 of their last 7 games and are now back to the .500 mark for the first time since April 28. Nick Franklin has hit safely in 13 of his last 15 games, batting .323 (21x65) with 10 runs scored, 5 doubles, 2 triples, 3 home runs and 7 RBI. Franklin is amidst Midwest League leaders in triples (T1st/6), extrabase hits (2nd/21), total bases (2nd/92), slugging percentage (2nd/.597), total hits (4th/49), HR (T4th/6), OPS (7th/.943) and average (11th/.318).
Tuesday’s probable starter: RH Erasmo Ramirez (1-2, 2.73) at Burlington