San Diego and Seattle are teams that win the same way, if not as often. Both are built around pitching, and aren't in the top 10 in scoring in their leagues.
So expect two managers who will play for a run early, late and often.
"You manage the club the way it's playing," Don Wakamatsu said. "We'll play for one run. Any time we can score one run, we will. At times we haven't, and at the end of the game we've been one short.
On Thursday, the Mariners were bunting in the fourth inning. That may not change. Small ball, here we come.
Never miss a local story.
It's Cliff Lee vs. Wade LeBlanc.
- With one out in the first, David Eckstein, who has made a career out of being a pest, singled. Adrian Gonzalez, a power hitter supreme, grounded a double the other way. Chase Headley singled off shortstop Josh Wilson's glove to score Eckstein. Oscar Salazar singled home Gonzalez with two out. In the first: San Diego 2, Seattle 0.
- Two quick, weak outs, then right fielder Will Venable dropped a pop fly from Franklin Gutierrez to put him on first base for cleanup hitter Mike Sweeney. Sweeney singled Gutierrez to third base. Jose Lopez grounded out, trying to pull an outside pitch. After one: San Diego 2, Seattle 0.
- Who says the Mariners don't have luck? Milton Bradley's ground ball hit the bag at third and bounced away from Headley for a base hit. Casey Kotchman walked. Bunt? No, catcher Josh Bard never squared - but drew a walk to load 'em up with no one out. Wilson singled Bradley home. Ichiro singled Kotchman home. Chone Figgins flied out, Bard scoring. Gutierrez grounded to third, but was safe when Headley threw late to the plate. Sweeney homered, his fourth. After two: Seattle 7, San Diego 2.
- Eckstein again! He doubled leading off the thire, then was doubled home by Gonzalez. Headley was safe on a two-base throwing error from Lopez, with Gonzalez scoring. In the third: Seattle 7, San Diego 4.
- With one out, Bard homered to left field, his first. After three: Seattle 8, San Diego 4.
- With one out, Gutierrez doubled - then Sweeney hit his second home run of the game, his fifth this month. It's the 17th time in his career he's hit more than one home run in a game. Bradley and Kotchman singled, and Bard doubled both home. Wilson doubled Bard home. After four: Seattle 13, San Diego 4.
- Figgins singled, Gutierrez walked. Sweeney singled home Figgins - his sixth RBI of the night. Bradley singled, loading 'em up, and Kotchman forced Bradley, pushing home a run. After five: Seattle 15, San Diego 4.
- A tiring Lee saw Venable reach base on a passed ball before Eckstein and Gonzalez singled to load 'em up. Headly got one run home with a fly ball, Nick Hundley scored anotherwith a double to chase Lee. Jesus Colome now pitching. Salazar singled home two runs. In the seventh: Seattle 15, San Diego 8.
- Brandon League in to pitch the ninth. It's a final: Seattle 15, San Diego 8.