Tonight the Mariners reach the one-third-of-a-season mark, and they'll do it with a record of either 23-31 or 22-32 - neither what they imagined leaving spring training.
Still, they start the game on a three-game winning streak - matched againsts the Angels, the team immediately ahead of them in the American League West.
There is ground to be gained in a win, and Ian Snell will start for Seattle, Joe Saunders for Los Angeles.
Mike Sweeney (tight back) is available only as a pinch-hitter, Matt Tuiasosopo is at first base, Eliezer Alfonzo behind the plate and Ryan Langerhans in left field.
Never miss a local story.
Unusual lineup, big game. We're off.
- Ichiro Suzuki singled and Franklin Gutierrez doubled. Unfortunately for Seattle, in between them Chone Figgins grounded into a double play. Two hits, no runs. These Mariners are consistent.
- Snell walked Torii Hunter, then tried to bury a breaking ball down and in to Hideki Matsui - and Matsui hit it out for his eighth home run. In the second: Los Angeles 2, Seattle o.
- Tuiasosopo singled with one out in the second inning, Eliezar Alfonzo singled him to third, then took second on the throw to third. Langerhans struck out looking. Two more hits, two more left on base.
- Scoscia-ball! Erick Aybar bunted for a single, Snell walked Maicer Izturis and Howie Kendrick bunted both runners up. Bobby Abreu walked to load 'em up. Hunter flied out, Aybar scoring. Matsui singled home another run. In the third: Los Angeles 4, Seattle 0.
- Jose Lopez singled leading off the fourth, extending his hitting streak to 11 consecutive games. Josh-not-Jack Wilson grounded into a double play - Seattle's third tonight. After four: Los Angeles 4, Seattle 0.
- Fifth inning, Tuiasosopo singled, reached second base with two outs and scored on Ichiro's single. Ichiro stole second base, his 17th, and took third on a wild pitch. Figgins walked. Gutierrez flied out. The Mariners now have eight hits and one run, the Angels three hits and four runs. After five: Los Angeles 4, Seattle 1.
- Juan Rivera homered, his eighth. After Michael Ryan singled, Chad Cordero was called in to pitch - his first big leagues game since April 29, 2008. With one out, Izturis doubled. Kendrick doubled home two runs. In the seventh: Los Angeles 7, Seattle 1.
- It's a final: Los Angeles 7, Seattle 1.