The San Diego Padres have not scored a run for starting pitcher Wade LeBlanc in his last 20 innings at home - the kind of streak one might expect from Seattle.
This team continues to strain itself to get two or three runs across on any given day - and tonight they're off to a stunning beginning.
Ichiro and Chone Figgins singled, back-to-back, and Franklin Gutierrez walked to load the bases with no outs. Can't miss, you say?
They missed. Jose Lopez grounded into a third-to-home-to-first base double play. LeBlanc intentionally walked Milton Bradley to re-load the bases.
Josh-not-Jack Wilson flied out. No runs for the Mariners. Are you really surprised?
- So much for that Padres scoreless streak. With one out and one on, Adrian Gonzalez hit a cheap home run - over the center field fence - on a 2-0 pitch. After one: San Diego 2, Seattle 0.
- One-out bloop double by Rob Johnson, then a two-out bloop single by Ichiro - both hit to the opposite field - and the Mariners get a run back. In the second: San Diego 2, Seattle 1.
- Consistency! The Mariners have two hits in each of the first three innings - and one run.
- Ex-Mariner Yorvit Torrealba singled, moved up on a balk and took third on Chris Denorfia's infield single. Jerry Hairston Jr. flied out, Torrealba scoring. In the fourth: San Diego 3, Seattle 1.
- Something you don't see every day: After Mike Carp doubled with two outs, the Padres intentionally walked catcher Johnson to get to Cliff Lee. It worked. Lee struck out.
- Now pitching the seventh inning for San Diego: Luke Gregerson. LeBlanc was lifted after 92 pitches.
- Now pitching the eighth inning for San Diego: Mike Adams vs. the heart of the Seattle lineup. Lopez grounded out. Bradley walked. Wilson singled. Carp singled, loading the bases. Pinch-hitting for Johnson, Michael Saunders struck out. Pinch-hitting for Lee, Casey Kotchman grounded out. In the eighth: San Diego 3, Seattle 1.
- Will-not-Max Venable doubled off Sean White. David Eckstein bunted him to third base. Chase Headley doubled Venable home. Gonzalez was intentionally walked. Brandon League came in to face pinch-hitter Oscar Salazar, who homered. In the eighth: San Diego 7, Seattle 1.
- Ichiro doubled, his third hit. Figgins flied out. Gutierrez struck out. Lopez flied out. It's a final: San Diego 7, Seattle 1.