Just getting to this game was the toughest part of the day today. There was no post-game flight out of San Diego that, even with a connection, would have gotten Larry Stone or me to St. Louis last night.
So both of us got 4 a.m. wakeup calls in San Diego, got to the airport at 4:45 a.m. and flew to Denver at 6:20 a.m. There we made a connection and arrived in St. Louis about 1:45 p.m.
Our luggage did not. We're told it's still in Denver.
Mr. Stone of the Seattle Times and Mr. LaRue of the News Tribune will have no trouble sleeping tonight, and we both hope that won't begin until well after the game. But one never knows.
Don't hold either of us accountable for anything on his blog or mine tonight. Oh, and if you see a tan suitcase, it's mine.
On the field, it's Luke French vs. Adam Wainright.
- Ichiro hit the secpnd pitch out for his second home run. That's his 31st career home run leading off a game, and the first this season. Chone Figgins beat out an infield single. Franklin Gutierrez grounded out, with Figgins taking third base. Jose Lopez grounded out, Figgins scoring. Milton Bradley doubled. Josh-not-Jack Wilson grounded out. In the first: Seattle 2, St. Louis 0.
- Yikes! One-out walk to Matt Holliday, Albert Pujols singled and Ryan Ludwick homered, his 11th. After one: St. Louis 3, Seattle 2.
- Holliday singled. Pujols singled him to third base, but was caught in a run down between first and second base. Ludwick flied out, Holliday scoring. After three: St. Louis 4, Seattle 2.
- Mr. Wainright has settled in since the first inning, allowing the Mariners just one hit. Mr. French? After four innings and 60 pitches, he's been lifted for pinch-hitter Ryan Langerhans, who struck out. In the fifth: St. Louis 4, Seattle 2.
- Now pitching for Seattle: Ian Snell. Pujols walked. Ludwick doubled. David Freese grounded to Lopez, whose throw toward the plate hit Pujols and bounced away for a two-run error. Colby Rasmus homered, his 12th. Snell would seem to be pitching himself off the team. In fifth: St. Louis, 8, Seattle 2.
- In the sixth: Figgins walked and took second when Freese booted a Gutierrez ground ball for an error. Lopez grounded into a double play, third to first. Bradley struck out. This may be the most self-destructive offense in baseball.
- In the seventh: Chad Cordero pitching for Seattle.
- Pinch-hitting for Cordero, Michael Saunders singled to open the eighth inning. Ichiro doubled. Wainright was replaced by Jason Motte. Figgins grounded out, Saunders scoring. In the eighth: St. Louis 8, Seattle 3.
- In the eighth: Sean White pitching for Seattle. Singles by Brendan Ryan and Felipe Lopez set up Pujols with one out, and he singled home a run - his 48th RBI. After eight: St. Louis 9, Seattle 3.
- It's a final: St. Louis 9, Seattle 3.