It's mid-June, and Ryan Rowland-Smith hasn't won a game yet.
Of course, the Mariners aren't winning with anyone not named Felix or Cliff this month, and after going 8-19 in May, they're 5-9 this month. Nothing would make them happier than to win a game with a No. 3 or No 4 or No. 5 starter ...
If not now, when?
They're 2-6 on this trip, finish with St. Louis tomorrow and then open a home stand with the Reds and Cubs - then visit the Brewers, Yankees and Tigers. Yikes!
Hard to find a team you can feel confident the Mariners match up well against. Tonight, Rowland-Smith vs. Jeff Suppan.
- With two outs in the first, Franklin Gutierrez and Jose Lopez singled, taking Suppan to the opposite field and putting Mariners at first and third base. Milton Bradley, booed for breathing, walked to load 'em up. Josh-not-Jack Wilson grounded out. Any other team, that might have seemed like a threat ...
- Well, Rowland-Smith isn't overwhelming the Cardinals - Gutierrez and Ichiro have made running catches - but he's gotten six outs without allowing a run. Progress! Now, there's this little matter of run support. After two: No score.
- Brendan Ryan singled and stole second, and St. Louis bunted him to third base. Matt Holiday popped out. Rowland-Smith set Albert Pujols up with changeups, then got him to ground out on a fastball. Nice pitching. After three: No score.
- After a light booing, Bradley homered leading off the fourth - his sixth home run and third in five games. On a muggy, 80-degree night, Suppan has thrown 73 pitches in four innings. In the fourth: Seattle 1, St. Louis 0.
- David Freese doubled with one out and Colby Rasmus homered, his second of the series and 13th of the season. Suppan singled and, with two outs, Ryan singled him home. In the fourth: St. Louis 3, Seattle 1.
- Ichiro singled and stole second base, his 19th. With two outs, Lopez beat out an infield single, getting Ichiro to third. Bradley walked to load 'em up. Wilson grounded out, leaving the bases loaded for the second time tonight. Yikes!
- In the fifth inning: Shawn Kelley pitching for Seattle. On his sixth pitch, Mr. Pujols left the building - his 15th. In the fifth: St. Louis 4, Seattle 1 .
- In the sixth inning: Garrett Olson pitching for Seattle.
- In the eighth inning: Brandon League pitching for Seattle. If you're wondering the odds on the Mariners coming back to win, it's been 14 games since they scored as many as five runs.
- In the ninth, ex-Mariner Ryan Franklin in for the save. Pinch-hitter Ryan Langerhans homered, his second. The Mariners have left nine men on base and scored two runs. It's a final: St. Louis 4, Seattle 2.