Among the Seattle Mariners in the starting lineup who have faced Zach Greinke, only one - Ichiro Suzuki - has a lifetime average above .143.
That doesn't lead one to expect much scoring tonight from the Mariners, and Ichiro's .368 career average vs. Greinke includes, well, one RBI. The entire lineup, lifetime, has three RBI against Greinke.
Altogether now - Yikes!
Ryan Rowland-Smith has little choice but to pitch well and hope Greinke makes mistakes.
Greinke has not been this season what he was last, but he's still plenty good. The Mariners haven't scored against this gentleman in his last 29 innings.
- Take that, Royals! Rowland-Smith throws a 16-pitch first inning, getting a double play after a Scott Podsednik single. No score.
- A 1-2-3 inning for the dreaded Greinke. If you're counting, that's 30 consecutive scoreless innings vs. Seattle.
- A 1-2-3 inning from both Rowland-Smith and Greinke. John Lackey once had a stretch of 30 1/3 scoreless innings vs. Seattle. Greinke has now passed that and is at 31. After two innings, no score.
- Rookie Michael Saunders singled and went to second base on Mike Aviles, took third when Josh Bard grounded out. No. 9 hitter Jack-not-Josh Wilson dropped a squeeze bunt for the RBI. Greinke twisted his right foot fielding the bunt, but stayed in the game. In the third: Seattle 1, Kansas City 0.
- Rowland-Smith works around a David DeJesus single, and has now gone four shutout innings.
- Wilson Betemit led off the fifth inning with a solo home run, his fourth of the season, on Rowland-Smith's 56th pitch. In the fifth: Seattle 1, Kansas City 1.
- Jason Kendall doubled into the left field corner with one out, Rowland-Smith walked Billy Butler and hit Jose Guillen with a pitch to load 'em up with two outs. Betemit lined a ball Rowland-Smith's foot - and RBI infield single . In the sixth: Kansas City 2, Seattle 1.
- Through six innings, Rowland-Smith has pitched well, Greinke has been better. Rowland-Smith has allowed six hits and two runs - Greinke one run and one hit. Yikes!
- Yunieskey Betancourt doubled with one out, took third on a ground out. Rowland-Smith got Kendall on a fly ball and has gotten through seven innings. It matches his longest start of the season. In the seventh: Kansas City 2, Seattle 1.
- Mariners picked up their second hit, a one-out single by Jose Lopez. Greinke got Franklin Gutierrez on a fly ball, Casey Kotchman walked and Saunders struck out. To the eighth!
- Rowland-Smith faced one batter in the eighth, Kendall, who flared a single. Sean White on in relief. Butler singled Kendall to second base. Guillen grounded into a double play, completed because he was limping so badly on his left leg he could hardly reach first base. Betemit flared a soft single into left, scoring Kendall. In the eighth: Kansas City 3, Seattle 1.
- Greinke departed after 98 pitches, replaced by Blake Wood. With one out, Jack Wilson and Ichiro singled. Wilson stole stole third base but, inexcuseably, Ichiro stayed put at first representing the tying run. Figgins flied out, Wilson scoring. Branyan hit a ground rule double, with Ichiro stopped at third - making his failure to run on Wilson's stolen base the difference in the game. Lopez grounded out. In the eighth: Kansas City 3, Seattle 2.
- One out into the ninth, Kotchman singled and was replaced by pinch-runner Josh Wilson. Saunders struck out. Ryan Langerhans, batting for Bard, struck out. It's a final: Kansas City 3, Seattle 2.