Ryan Rowland-Smith and the Seattle Mariners go for a split with the New York Yankees today, and they come into today having averaged two runs a game in the first three games.
After putting in a full day of travel Saturday, rookie Justin Smoak will be the designated hitter, with Casey Kotchman getting what may prove to be a rare start at first base.
It's the final game before the All-Star break, with Seattle trying to win for the 36th time - and New York looking for its 56th win. Rowland-Smith vs. lefty CC Sabathia.
- Jose Lopez threw wildly ona Nick Swisher ground ball, getting charged with the one-out error. Mark Texeira singled Swisher to second. Alex Roriguez was safe on a Chone Figgins error, loading the bases. Robinson Cano flied out, Swisher scoring. Jorge Posada singled, Texeira scoring. In the first: New York 2, Seattle 0.
- The Mariners are offensively challenged, but against Sabathia it may be even more pronounced than usual. Ichiro is batting .385 against him, but Russell Branyan (.100), Casey Kotchman (.143), Jose Lopez (.111), Jack and Josh Wilson (.133) and Michael Saunders (.000) have all struggled against CC. Oh, and Justin Smoak had never faced him. Go ahead, make out a formidible lineup against him ...
- Kotchman singled with one out, and Smoak singled - his first hit as a Mariner - to push him to second base. Josh Bard flied out. Jack Wilson grounded out. After two: New York 2, Seattle 0.
- More bad luck for Rowland-Smith. Saunders lost a towering fly ball from Texeira, and when it fell untouched it was ruled a double When A-Rod popped out to Kotchman, Kotchman fell down fieldingf he all - and Texeira tagged and went to third base. When Rowland-Smith uncorked a wild pitch, Texeria - who shouldn't have been on base - scored. In the third: New York 3, Seattle 0.
- Marcus Thames hit a ground ball that bounced off Lopez at third base and was ruled a hit. That's the fourth out in three-plus innings that the Mariners have failed to make behind Rowland-Smith. Curtis Granderson grounded, Thames taking second base. Brett Gardner walked and both runners moved up on catcher Josh Bard's passed ball. Derek Jeter doubled home both runners. Texeira doubled Jeter home. In the fourth: New York 6, Seattle 0.
- In the fifth: Brian Sweeney pitching for Seattle. Cano doubled and, witgh one out, Marcus Thames hit his third home run of the season. The Yankees have scored two more runs today than the Mariners have scored in this four-game series. In the fifth: New York 8, Seattle 0.
- Saunders and Ichiro singled to open the sixth inning, and Figgins singled Saunders home. In the sixth: New York 8, Seattle 1.
- In the seventh: Sean White pitching. A long, high fly ball to center was lost in the sun by Gutierez, and Jorge Posada was credited with a double when it fell.
- In the eighth: Brandon League pitching.
- In the ninth: David Aardsma pitching.
- Two outs into thre ninth, Mr. Kotchman homered, his seventh. And it's a final: New York 8, Seattle 2.