Ryan Rowland-Smith is 1-9 this season and, in his career, 0-2 against the Angels, so a team that's lost 11 of its last 13 games figures to have a tough time tonight with Los Angeles and Joe Saunders - who has won his last seven decisions against Seattle.
The Mariners haven't scored more than three runs in a game since the All-Star break, and the team's 4-5-6 hitters - Jose Lopez, Milton Bradley and Justin Smoak - are batting .237, .208 and .200.
Altogether now: Yikes!
- Two outs into the second inning, Smoak doubled, hitting a ball over the head of left fielder Juan Rivera. Ryan Langerhans singled, but Smoak was held at third base. Langerhans was safe on a error at seond base as he attempted to steal, with Smoak scoring on the play. In the second: Seattle 1, Los Angeles 0.
- Consecutive singles by Mike Napoli, Juan Rivera and Kevin Frandsen got a run home with no one out, and Rowland-smith's throwing error on a bunt loaded 'em up. Reggie Willits singled home two runs. Howie Kendrick grounded into a fielders choice, but when Jack wilson's throw to first was wild, Brandon Wood scored. In the second: Los Angeles 4, Seattle 1.
- Without much traditional offense, the Mariners are trying to make things happen - and running into outs in the process. Jack Wilson singled to open the third inning and, when Ichiro singled behind him, Wilson was thrown out handily trying to get to third base. Ouch.
- Ouch again! Napoli homered with one out. Rivera and Frandsend doubled, pushing in another run. In the third: Los Angeles 6, Seattle 1.
- Franklin Gutierrez led off with a double and Jose Lopez doubled him home. Bradley singled Lopez to third. Smoak singled Lopez home. Josh bard singled Bradley home. In the fourth: Los Angeles 6, Seattle 4.
- A one-out walk, then a single by Bobby Abreu and that was it for Rowland-Smith. Now pitching: Chris Seddon. Torii Hunter grounded into a fielders choice, Howie Kendrick out at the plate. Napoli flied out. Nice job by Seddon.
- Mr. Smoak, who came in batting .200, is now 3-for-3 tonight - and just hit his 10th home run of the season. In the sixth: Los Angeles 6, Seattle 5.
- Now pitching in the sixth for Seattle: Brian Sweeney.
- Leading off, catcher Bard hit his second home run. In the seventh: Seattle 6, Los Angeles 6.
- Oops! With two out, Rivera hammered his 11th home run. Brandon League replaced sweeney. In the seventh: Los Angeles 7, Seattle 6.
- Ninth inning: Brian Fuentes in for the save. Langerhans walked. Bard grounded into a double play. Wilson struck out. It's a final: Los Angeles 7, Seattle 6.