And now, a word about the Seattle Mariners designated hitter this season: Yikes!
Eight men have started at DH - Milton Bradley, Russell Branyan, Ken Griffey Jr., Casey Kotchman, Jose Lopez, Justin Smoak, Ichiro and Mike Sweeney.
Collectively, those DHs have batted .185 this season with nine home runs and 30 RBI in 105 games. Yes, that's the lowest in the American League. By a lot.
With that depressing note, lets go - Luke French vs. Francisco Liriano.
- After Russell Branyan and Casey Kotchman struck out, Josh Wilson just missed the left field foul pole - so manager Don Wakamatsu asked the umpires to review the call. They did: Foul ball. Wilson promptly struck out. In the second: No score.
- The Mariners are up to their usual offensive surge - they have one base runner, on a walk, in three innings. But French has matched Liriano in zeroes, inning for inning, while allowing two hits. Seen this game before? Seen it 75 times? Thought so.
- Chone Figgins doubled leading off the fourth. Franklin Gutierrez struck out. Branyan struck out. Kotchman struck out. If you haven't seen this inning before, you haven't watched a Mariners game in 2010. In the fourth: No score.
- With two outs in the fifth, Michal Saunders tripled. Rob Johnson walked. Ichiro tapped back to the mound. Still, no score.
- With one out, Alexi Casilla singled and DelmonYoung was credited with a double when Saunders dove for this fly all and the ball got by him. Michael Cuddyer was intentionally walked. Jason Kubel, who was in an 0-for-13 slump, doubled home all three base runners. Danny Valenica singled home Kubel. In he sixth: Minnesota 4, Seattle 0.
- The Mariners were shut out for the third time on this seven-game trip, losing their 67th game. They're on pace to finish 59-103. Somebody is going to take the heat for this, and my guess is it will not be GM Jack Zduriencik. What do you think? It's a final: Minnesota 4, Seattle 0.