Doug Fister will try to stop the Boston Red Sox tonight and the Seattle Mariners will hope to outlast Mother Nature, who has provided rain all day and is expected to send more soon.
Boston starts John Lackey, who faced the Mariners on July 22 and took a no-hitter into the eighth ininng. Maybe that means the Mariners are due to hit him ...
If you're looking for bad omens, though, consider this: Franklin Gutierrez is batting cleanup tonight, for the ninth time in 2010. In the first eight games he hit fourth, the Mariners went 1-7. Maybe hat means the Mariners are due to win a game with him at fourth ....
- First hit of the night belonged to Casey Kotchman, who banged a single off the wall in left center field - and was thrown out attempting to take second base. In the second: No score.
- Second hit of the game belonged to Adrian Beltre, who singled into center field with one out. Fister struck out Mike Lowell and Jed Lowrie popped out. After two: No score.
- Mariners got a leadoff walk to Langerhans, who took second base on a ground ball. Ichiro was intentionally walked with two out, and Chone Figgins singled to second base - with Langerhans scoring on Lowrie's error. In the third: Seattle 1, Boston 0.
- Fister has worked four innings and allowed one base-runner, striking out four. He looks like he did back in April.
- Beltre singled - again - and with one out, Langerhans dropped a little fly ball near the left field line, then kicked it into the stands for a two-base error. Daniel Nava walked to load 'em up. Ryan Kalish popped out. Marco Scutaro singled home two runs. J.D. Drew sinled home a third. In the fifth: Boston 3, Seattle 1.
- Ichiro and Figgins singled to open the sixth. With one out, Lackey fumbled a Gutierrez ground ball, loading the bases. Kotchman singled, Ichiro and Figgins scored. In the sixth: Seattle 3, Boston 3.
- Fister wearing down, and gave up back-to-back singles to Lowrie and Nava, and Boston bunted them up a base. Sean White replaced Fister. Scutaro singled home both runners. Drew singled Scutaro to third. Victor Martinez flied out, scoring Scutaro. In the seventh: Boston 6, Seattle 3.
- Ninth inning, closer Jonathon Papelbon in to finish up. Adam Moore singled - Seattle's seventh hit of the night. Langerhans struck out. Matt Tuiasosopo struck out. Chris Woodward flied out. It's a final: Boston 6, Seattle 3.