Forget for a moment that Ichiro Suzuki starts the night with a 10-game hitting streak - the Seattle Mariners right fielder is zeroing in on far more impressive numbers.
Ichiro begins the night leading the major leagues in hits (183) with the injured Josh Hamilton, and is in position to lead the big leagues for the season for the seventh time in his career.
How good is that?
Only two men in history have led the majors in hits seven times – Ty Cobb and Pete Rose. Ichiro could match their record in this, his 10th season.
Never miss a local story.
Ichiro has led the majors in hits in each of the last four seasons. No one had ever done that before. Now, if the Mariners could turn more of those hits into runs, they might avoid losing 100 games.
David Pauley vs. Jered Weaver. We're off.
- With one out, Chone Figgins singled. With two outs, he stole second and took third base on a throwing error. Franklin Gutierrez grounded out. No score.
- Ichiro bunted for a single with two out, taking second on a throwing error. It was Ichiro's 184th hit of the season. Figgins popped out. In the third: No score.
- Hideki Matsui singled and took second on a wild pitch. Mike Napoli was hit by a pitch. Bother runners moved up on a sacrifice bunt. Howie Kendrick flied out, Matsui scoring. Jeff Mathis singled home a run. In the fourth: Los Angeles 2, Seattle 0.
- Casey Kotchman singled and, with one out, Michael Saunders singled him to third. When right fielder Torii Hunter threw wildly, Kotchman scored and Saunders took second. Josh Wilson flied out. Ichiro flied out. In the fifth: Los Angeles 2, Seattle 1.
- Erick Aybar walked and, on a hit-and-run ground ball by Kendrick, Aybar went all the way to third base. Mathis dropped a squeeze bunt, Aybar scoring. In the sixth: Los Angeles 3, Seattle 1.
- Albert Callaspo was safe on Wilson's error and took second on a ground out by Bobby Abreu, third on Hunter's ground ball. Pauley was replaced by Ryan Rowland-Smith. Matsui grounded out. In the seventh: Los Angeles 3, Seattle 1.
- Ninth inning. With Fernando Rodney pitching, Gutierrez singled with one out. Lopez doubled him home. Kotchman doubled Lopez home for the tie. In the ninth: Los Angeles 3, Seattle 3.
- Thirteenth inning. With Brian Sweeney pitching, Napoli singled and was bunted to second base. Kendrick was intentionally walked. Wilson flied out. Juan Rivera grounded out. After 13: Los Angeles 3, Seattle 3.
- Abreu homered, his 18th. It's a final: Los Angeles 4, Seattle 3.