In the final game of a six-game swing through the American League West, the Seattle Mariners start today 1-4 on the trip, hoping Jason Vargas can pitch well enough to let them double the wins total - and get them off their current pace to lose 100 times.
This is the final meeting between the Mariners and Angels, and since Los Angeles is 14-4 already, Seattle won't mind the series coming to an end for 2010. The Mariners did all they could to keep the Angels in the division race.
Ichiro opens with a 12-game hitting streak, leading the majors with his 185 hits and on the precipice of his 10th consecutive 200-hit season. Vargas could win his 10th game, a first for him at any professional level.
Other than that, make up your own goals ...
It's Vargas vs. Dan Haren.
- Ichiro grounded out on the first pitch of the game. Chone Figgins singled but was caught stealing. Russell Branyan struck out. Mariners baseball!
- Erick Aybar bunted for a hit, and Howie Kendrick bunted for a hit when Jose Lopez and Vargas collided. Mike Napoli walked with one out, loading the bases. Hideki Matsui took first - and Aybar scored - on catchers interference. In the first: Los Angeles 1, Seattle 0.
- Branyan led off with a single. Franklin Gutierrez grounded to first, but both runners were safe - and Branyan took third - on Napoli's throwing error. Gutierrez took second on a wild pitch. With two outs, Langerhans walked to load 'em up. Josh Bard flied out. There is no such thing as a can't-miss rally for Seattle. In the fourth: Los Angeles 1, Seattle 0.
- Through five innings, Vargas has allowed three hits and one unearned run. Through five innings, that's been enough to put him in a one-run hole, thanks to his offense.
- With one out, Napoli doubled. Juan Rivera blooped a single into shallow left field, scoring Napoli. In the sixth: Los Angeles 2, Seattle 0.
- Another 1-2-3 inning for Dan Haren, who's had one tough inning - the fourth, when Seattle loaded 'em up - but pitched out of it. Mariners have three hits and have stranded six base runners. Mariners baseball! In the seventh: Los Angeles 2, Seattle 0.
- In what likely was his last at-bat of the game, Ichiro singled to extend his hitting streak tro 14 games, and his hit total to 186. Ichiro stole his 37th base. With one out, Branyan walked and was r eplaced by pinch-runner Michael Saunders. Gutierrez struck out. Kotchman grounded out. In the eighth: Los Angeles 2, Seattle 0.
- Ryan Rowland-Smith pitching for Seattle. Napoli homered, his 24th. In the eighth: Los Angeles 3, Seattle 0.
- In the ninth: Fernando Rodney pitching. Lopez walked. Langerhans grounded out, Lopez to second. Bard grounded out. Josh Wilson struck out. It's a final: Los Angeles 3, Seattle 0.