The Mariners are in their sixth five-game losing streak of the season, and tonight may not be a great chance to improve - they have never hit Daisuke Matsuzaka particularly well.
Only one Mariner, Casey Kotchman, has ever homered against Dice-K and not even Ichiro (.211) has been able to solve the right-hander with any regularity. As for Luke French, he's never faced the Boston Red Sox.
The game clearly means more to Boston than Seattle, since the Red Sox are still clinging to American League wild card hopes. The Mariners have scored five times in their last three games, total.
Never miss a local story.
- With one out, Chone Figgins singled and stole second base, his 39th of the season. Russell Branyan walked. Franklin Gutierrez singled Figgins home - his 55th RBI. In the first: Seattle 1, Boston 0.
- Adrian Beltre, batting .326, doubled to left field. David Ortiz singled, but Michael Saunders threw Beltre out at the plate. Saunders leads the team with eight outfield assists. Jed Lowrie homered, his fifth. In the second: Boston 2, Seattle 1.
- Saunders walked with one out and stole second, his fifth of the season. He may be batting .212, but he's learned to do the little things. Now, if he can add one or two of the big things ...
- Marco Scutaro walked and took second on a wild pitch, scoring on a two-out single by Victor Martinez. In the third: Boston 3, Seattle 0.
- Ichiro walked and stole second base, his 38th of the year and the Mariners third of the night. Figgins singled, Ichiro to third base. Branyan grounded out, Ichiro scoring to give Branyan 55 RBI. Figgins was caught stealing. In the third: Boston 3, Seattle 2.
- Lowrie hit his second home run of the game, sixth of the year. In the fourth: Boston 4, Seattle 2.
- Josh Wilson was hit by a pitch and Ichiro doubled him home with his 187th hit of the year. Figgins bunted for a hit, Ichiro to third base. Branyan flied out, chasing Ichiro home with his 56th RBI. Figgins was caught stealing. Gutierrez doubled. Kotchman walked. Lopez grounded out. In the fifth: Boston 4, Seattle 4.
- Ichiro led off with his 188th hit. Figgins sacrificed him to second base. Branyan struck out. Gutierrez doubled Ichiro home, his 56th RBI. Gutierrez stole third base, his 21st. Kotchman grounded out. In the seventh: Seattle 5, Boston 4.
- Brandon League replaced Luke French to open the eighth inning. With two outs, Victor Martinez and Beltre singled. Ortiz homered, his 30th. In the eighth: Boston 7, Seattle 5.
- Ninth inning. Boston scored two insurance runs against League, then brought Jonathon Papelbon in to close. Ichiro singled, his third hit of the night and 189th of the season. Ichiro stole his 39th base, then scored on the fourth hit of the nigh for Figgins. Not enough. The Mariners have lost six consecutive games. It's a final: Boston 9, Seattle 6.