Ken Griffey Jr. addressed the media for the first time since he abruptly retired from the Mariners on June 2 of last season. Since then Griffey has been basically silent from the media. The only comments he's made to the media were in a statement about Dave Niehaus' passing.
Here's his opening statement ...
Griffey was asked several more questions about his role as a "special consultant," which really isn't defined. He's going to lean on Jay Buhner, who sat behind the media scrum in uniform watching it all, for what to do out there. He will be in uniform some and he said he may even make an appearance in the broadcast booth.
Never miss a local story.
Griffey wouldn't apologize for the way it ended, saying it was the way he was always going to retire.
"You want me to apologize for something that I felt was right? I felt that it was right for me to leave. I'm not going to do it. Because it's not intended to hurt people. It was a decision that I made. I said that 15 years ago. You guys know it. There are some people who are upset and some people who are not. I can't worry about it. I had to do what I thought was right for me.''