Manager Eric Wedge wanted his team to get a break after a day-night, split-squad double-header Friday, so the clubhouse didn't open until 8 a.m. - and there's no workout scheduled this morning.
So what's up?
- Outfielder Gabe Gross asked for and was given his release from minor league camp and is now a free agent. Gross didn't show much in the field or at the plate, and even with Franklin Gutierrez down, the Mariners didn't call for him.
- Felix Hernadez will make his last start of the spring tomorrow in a minor league game in Peoria, and likely will throw 90-95 pitches.
- Erik Bedard will make one last spring start, too - pitching Wedneseday in Dodgers Stadium. That's the last exhibition game this spring, and ensures that Bedard will open the season as the No. 4 starter in Seattle's rotation.
- LHP Aaron Laffey says his rock-solid spring, which included four innings against the Cubs Friday, is due to three bullpen sessions he had with Buddy Biancalana before camp opened. For the whole story, check out The News Tribune tomorrow.
- Josh Wilson turned 30 today, and teammate Jack Wilson got pictures of Wilson from his family - prom photos, baby photos, etc - had them enlarged and has now papered the clubhouse with them. Josh, whose nickname is 'the paper boy' for his youthful appearance, is a team favorite.
Jack Wilson 2BBrendan Ryan SSRyan Langerhans RFJustin Smoak 1BMichael Saunders CFLuis Rodriguez 3BMatt Tuiasosopo LFChris Gimenez CMichael Pineda P