Not much to say, this felt like so many games last season. No run support for Felix Hernandez.
In his 10 starts this season, he's allowed two runs or less ... and his record is 4-4.
For the 18th time in his last 44 starts, the Mariners scored one run or less for Hernandez.
Francisco Liriano was better tonight than he's been this season. He probably pitched better than he did when he got his no hitter. But how much of it was the Mariners offense or lack thereof.
“His changeup and that slider he throws are pretty good,” Wedge said. “Tonight he was down and on the plate. It comes in looking good and then it disappears on you. Usually with a guy like that you get a fastball, you’ve got to get to it and square it up.”
Seattle had three hits - all singles - and I think Ichiro's RBI single to center to score Brendan Ryan was the hardest hit ball of the night. I'm trying to remember other ones but I can't. Wedge didn't remember many either.
“We’ve got to do a better job of squaring the ball up,” Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. “These guys are up there battling and working to get in better counts. But when we do get in better counts or early in counts, we can’t keep missing pitches. We have to do a better job of getting on top and squaring the ball up.”
Of course, there was the play in the ninth. I thought Olivo was safe. Some people say he was out. Here's the replay
Some people were wondering why Wedge didn't pinch run for Olivo. Well Adam Kennedy was coming to pinch hit for Jack Wilson and Carlos Peguero was going to pinch hit for Mike Wilson. He wanted to keep Luis Rodriguez available and Chris Gimenez isn't fast than Olivo. In fact, Olivo runs better than most people think.
- The Twins snap their nine game losing streak…their last win was 5/6/11 @ BOS…today’s win means a split series with the Mariners’ 5-2 win last night…the last series the Twins either won or split was 5/3-4/11 @ CWS.
- Francisco Liriano is now 6-2, 2.61 ERA (18 ER, 62.0 IP) with 56 strikeouts in 10 starts against the Mariners…in 5 games at Safeco Field is now 2-1, 2.61 ERA (9 ER, 31.0 IP)…Twins have won each of his last 5 starts against Seattle.
- Liriano struck out a season-high 9 batters…it is the most strikeouts in a game for Liriano since striking out 11 on 8/1/10 vs. SEA…retired his last 7 batters faced.
- Michael Cuddyer has now hit safely in 22 of the last 30 games going 34x114 (.298) with 4 doubles, 4 homers, and 9 RBI…he also continued a 4-game hit streak and set a season high with a 2 RBI base hit in the first inning.
- Cuddyer extended his Safeco Field hitting streak to 12 games dating back to Aug. 14, 2007… during the streak he is batting .348 (16x46) with 8 runs, 1 double, 3 home runs and 7 RBI…the streak is T5th longest by an opposing player at Safeco Field (1. V. Guerrero, 19; 2. D. Jeter, 16; 3. O. Cabrera, 14; 4. G. Anderson, 13).
- Justin Morneau snapped a season-high 5-game hit streak going 0x4 today…during the streak, he batted .389 (7x18).
- Felix Hernandez struck out 9 batters, one shy of season-high (10, 5/1 @ BOS)…struck out five of last six batters faced…tied season-high with 3 walks (4/6 at TEX & 5/11 @ BAL)…tossed at least 8.0 innings for the third time this season (9.0 IP: 4/1 at OAK & 5/6 vs. CWS).
- The Mariners had won each of Felix’s last 7 starts at Safeco Field and 9 of his last 10…had not lost a Felix start at home since Aug. 5, 2010 vs. Texas.
- Hernandez suffered just his 5th career loss when tossing at least 8.0 innings (last: 9/23/10 at TOR)…in those five losses he has a 2.25 ERA (10 ER, 40.0 IP).
- Hernandez, in his last 3 starts at home, is 2-1, 1.46 ERA (4 ER, 24.2 IP) with 23 strikeouts.
- Hernandez is now 3-2, 1.83 ERA (9 ER, 44.1 IP) with 42 strikeouts in 7 career starts against the Twins at home…in 12 career starts against the Twins is now 4-5, 2.64 ERA (23 ER, 78.1 IP) with 71 strikeouts. Brandon League tossed a scoreless 9th inning…had allowed runs in each of his previous four outings.
- Chone Figgins has now hit in 13 of the last 16 games (.299/20x67) and continues a 3-game hitting streak, 2 shy of his season-high 5 G streak (4/26-30).
- Michael Saunders snapped an 0x12 hitting drought with a base hit in the 5th inning…first May hit this season outside of the BAL series (5/10-12).
- Jack Wilson and Jack Cust both had their 6-game hitting streaks snapped …during the streak, Wilson hit.286 (6x21) and Cust hit .348 (8x23).