As expected, Ichiro Suzuki was back in the lineup for the Mariners batting lead-off an in right field. But it is yet another different lineup for manager Eric Wedge as Franklin Gutierrez gets a day off to rest. Greg Halman will start in center field in his place. Also Jack Cust is out of the lineup for the third time in four games with Mike Carp at DH.
A few other notes from the Mariners ...
- Carlos Peguero is batting .429 (9x21) with 5 extra base hits (3 HR, 2B, 3B) and 5 RBI over his last 7 games (since 6/2)…he has also not struck out in 5 straight starts, after recording at least one strikeout in 17 of first 21 games.
- The Mariners have been in 2nd in the AL West 11 straight days…have been in 2nd and 2.5 games back of the Rangers 7 straight days.
- Since April 26, the Mariners are 25-16 (.610) to improve from 7 games under .500 (8-15) to 2 games over .500 (33-31).
- b did not play last night, ending his consecutive games played streak at 255 (dating back to 9/1/09), the 3rd-longest Iron Man streak in club history…Ichiro has played in 1,651 of the 1,684 Mariners games since his debut in 2001.
- Justin Smoak has homered in 5 of his last 12 games…leads the team with 11 home runs and 25 extra base hits (14 doubles).
- Chris Ray is 2-0 with a 0.69 ERA (1 ER, 13.0 IP) over his last 10 appearances (since 4/23) to lower season ERA from 16.88 to current mark of 5.40…thrown 11.0 consecutive scoreless innings (since 5/10).
- Greg Halman has recorded a hit in 3 of his 4 starts (CF – 1, LF – 3)…is batting .467 (7x15) with 3 R, 3B, 2 RBI.
- The Mariners lead the Majors with 12 bases loaded walks…club record is 28 in 2000.
- Close Games -- lead American League with 14 1-run victories…32 of 64 games have been decided by 2 or fewer runs (14-11 in 1-run, 2-5 in 2-run).
RHP Michael Pineda
- Ichiro Suzuki RF
- Brendan Ryan SS
- Justin Smoak 1B
- Adam Kennedy 2B
- Miguel Olivo C
- Carlos Peguero LF
- Mike Carp DH
- Chone Figgins 3B
- Greg Halman CF
Never miss a local story.
- Austin Jackson CF
- Don Kelly 3B
- Brennan Boesch RF
- Miguel Cabrera 1B
- Victor Martinez DH
- Andy Dirks LF
- Jhonny Peralta SS
- Alex Avila C
- Ramon Santiago 2B
RHP Max Scherzer (7-2, 4.68 ERA)