Rawlings - the longtime sponsor of the Gold Glove Awards - announced finalists for the American League and National League awards today.
Mariners shortstop Brendan Ryan and second baseman Dustin Ackley were both named one of three finalists at the respective postions.
Ryan, 30, led all Major League shortstops with 27 defensive runs saved (2nd-highest amongst any position player). He posted a .985 fielding percentage (9 errors in 601 total chances ) in 138 games at shortstop (134 starts). According to Fangraphs, Ryan had the highest Ultimate Zone Rating (UZR) and UZR 150 rating of any shortstop in baseball.
Ackley, 24, tied for third amongst AL second baseman with 11 defensive runs saved. In 142 starts at second base he made only 7 errors for a .989 fielding percentage (seven errors in 639 total chances). Ackley was eighth in UZR among all second basemen in baseball.
Never miss a local story.
The Gold Glove award winners will be announced tomorrow (Tuesday, Oct. 30) at 6:30 p.m. PT on ESPN2.
Each manager and up to six (6) coaches on his staff voted from a pool of qualified players in their League, and were not able to vote for players on their own team.
The Finalists ...
- Jeremy Hellickson, Tampa Bay Rays
- Jake Peavy, Chicago White Sox
- C.J. Wilson, Los Angeles Angels
- Alex Avila, Detroit Tigers
- Russell Martin, New York Yankees
- A.J. Pierzynski, Chicago White Sox
- Matt Wieters, Baltimore Orioles
- Adrian Gonzalez, Boston Red Sox
- Eric Hosmer, Kansas City Royals
- Mark Teixeira, New York Yankees
- Dustin Ackley, Seattle Mariners
- Robinson Cano, New York Yankees
- Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
- Adrian Beltre, Texas Rangers
- Brandon Inge, Oakland Athletics
- Mike Moustakas, Kansas City Royals
- Elvis Andrus, Texas Rangers
- J.J. Hardy, Baltimore Orioles
- Brendan Ryan, Seattle Mariners
- Alex Gordon, Kansas City Royals
- Desmond Jennings, Tampa Bay Rays
- David Murphy, Texas Rangers
- Austin Jackson, Detroit Tigers
- Adam Jones, Baltimore Orioles
- Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels
- Shin-Soo Choo, Cleveland Indians
- Jeff Francoeur, Kansas City Royals
- Josh Reddick, Oakland Athletics
- Bronson Arroyo, Cincinnati Reds
- Mark Buehrle, Miami Marlins
- Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
- Miguel Montero, Arizona Diamondbacks
- Carlos Ruiz, Philadelphia Phillies
- Freddie Freeman, Atlanta Braves
- Adam LaRoche, Washington Nationals
- Joey Votto, Cincinnati Reds
- Darwin Barney, Chicago Cubs
- Aaron Hill, Arizona Diamondbacks
- Brandon Phillips, Cincinnati Reds
- Chase Headley, San Diego Padres
- Aramis Ramirez, Milwaukee Brewers
- David Wright, New York Mets
- Zack Cozart, Cincinnati Reds
- Ian Desmond, Washington Nationals
- Jose Reyes, Miami Marlins
- Jimmy Rollins, Philadelphia Phillies
- Ryan Braun, Milwaukee Brewers
- Carlos Gonzalez, Colorado Rockies
- Martin Prado, Atlanta Braves
- Michael Bourn, Atlanta Braves
- Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Drew Stubbs, Cincinnati Reds
- Jay Bruce, Cincinnati Reds
- Andre Ethier, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Jason Heyward, Atlanta Braves